Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Here is a holder for most of my World Stuff

Bunch of different stuff in there.............However, I more concerned with the Glass Box
Anyone ever seen something like this ? and maybe tell me what I have ? The Box BTW

Thanks

Steve

Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing box

I've never seen the like but I love it

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly looks cool and the coins look cool inside of it, too. However, I am sorry that I cannot help you with information on the box.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So dump the coins out of that hinged ashtray and see if the metal is marked silver or has any makers mark at all. Hopefully it doesn't say Ghina! Let us know what you find. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

No markings anywhere on the trim or glass

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2018 9:49AM

Perhaps a repository for a loved one's remains.
    Here's an ivory casket for the young daughter of a Umayyad caliph

• Options

Actually I looked up "art deco glass jewelry box's" and found a few quite close, some were even called vintage glass cigarette holders, but since asking y'all I've gotten a little closer, I bought it at a thrift store about 15 years ago for like 5 bucks I think...............Couldn't pass it up at the time

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Glass Box Urn

For $5 bucks you did a lot better than Uncle Ralph @OldEastside

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldEastside said:
    Bunch of different stuff in there.............However, I more concerned with the Glass Box
    Anyone ever seen something like this ? and maybe tell me what I have ? The Box BTW

Thanks

Steve

That's really cool! It looks vintage.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I think a ladies' "boudoir" box from the 20's or 30's. I have a table with the same dog (?) head fittings.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I think it's pretty "cool". I'd take the coins out, may crack or damage the glass !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 1916 Barb I see. Box is really 👍

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Since we're on the subject of boxes, here's one I bought for a client last month. It's a solid gold cigar box given to King Farouk for his wedding in 1938. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be used for coin storage, though.

During the 1980 gold RUSH, I got in the most elaborate filigreed 18k cigarette case.
    Could NOT sell it. Too heavy. I think it was 9 or 10 oz and at that time even 100 oz silver bars were being rat-bidded.
    Finally scrapped it. Wish I had a pic. :'(

• Options

@Timbuk3 said:
    I like it, I think it's pretty "cool". I'd take the coins out, may crack or damage the glass !!! :)

In a couple pics above it looks like there is a couple cracks on the upper left corner LOW, but there isn't any at all, its about 1/2 to 5/8 thick, any how all that stuff has been in there for 15 years, really don't want to evict them :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least check the coins for errors and lay in a piece of cotton for the coins to sleep on. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall