Home Q & A Forum

Mint Mark Placement

Would the placement of this Mint Mark be considered an error?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO, since the MM was hand punched (prior to 1990) and it is in the general correct area for a MM then it is not an error.

I must admit it Is an interesting placement of the MM.

Others with expertise will help you more.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use the Google to read up on mm positions as variations of particular year of minting. Cherrypickers guide vol.1 is cents thru nickels. There are lots of sites with loads of info on cents, varieties, errors, etc. Varietyvista.com, doubleddie.com, lincolncentresource.com Time to start reading and learning. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree - not an error, but pretty darn interesting. It's a keeper.

• Thanks so much for the web links Roy!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh and our host PCGS website is chock full of stuff. Enjoy. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent Red Books show a 1975-D Jefferson Nickel with the mint mark very out of place. I believe it might have been Q. David Bowers who had this put in the book. At one time he was seeking Mint State specimens of this nickel, I have lost track of how successful he's been. The 1958-D above is intriguing.