Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Is the Harriet Tubman $20 bill dead?

There is a mention of the project in Omarosa's book "Unhinged," which is then mentioned in this article in the Canadian publication MacLeans:

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/washington/unhinged-donald-trump-no-longer-shocks-which-is-shocking/

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I don't think it will happen in this administration, but I hope it does in the next. We have had the same faces on USA currency for a long long time and IMHO it is time to try some new ones!

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

CaptHenway, yes it is dead. Hesitant to post this in today’s political environment, but the objective of the current administration is to overturn and undo every single idea implemented or proposed by the prior administration. It will not happen!

(Munchin was quoted a while back saying it was “not a priority”)

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

One need only look to Trump's hanging of a portrait of Andrew Jackson in the Oval office to divine that Jackson's visage is not destined to be replaced on the $20 note.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, I don't think it'll happen !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2018 1:51AM

@Timbuk3 said:
    Sadly, I don't think it'll happen !!! :(

Hello ! You've made me very happy. Give me Eleanor Roosevelt but don't try to give me some stern old scowling granny.

Sorry.

What would be the low cost option in getting a genuine cirulated $500 Bill ?

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the low cost option in getting a genuine cirulated $500 Bill ?

Entry level minimum is $600 or more, although I recently saw one on eBay for $555.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope so; lacking in broad appeal imo.

• MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I dunno, Harriet Tubman was a hard-swinging gun-toting Republican... could have some fun with that.

Personally, I'd love a commemorative release of a redesigned $10, 2 year run each, with

Frederick Douglas
    Nathaniel Greene
    Thomas Edison
    Amelia Earhart

designed notes with associated themes. Then, back to Hamilton.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here ya go folks, back to the good ol' 1950s:

https://newsone.com/3829634/harriet-tubman-20-bill-obama-trump/

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

I recently found a Wooden Block painted up like an Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix Box. I grabed that piece of Folk Art really fast, the wonderful Vibe was too good to pass up. Aunt Jemima had an actual Black Lady promoted as AJ back in the 1800's. This Black Icon might not be as deadpan serious as Hariet Tubman but who doesn't love Aunt Jemima? You don't think Black Lady with Aunt Jemima, you think HAPPY LADY, great Pancakes, great full belly , happy times !

Is there any lesson here? Image !!!!!!!!!!!

Even little Rocket Man in NK knows to smile and be HAPPY while threatening us with a Nuclear Firestorm. Hitler didnt seem to know that thing about image. John McCain didn't seem to know that. Obama knew that and kicked gumpy red faced old white mans arse.

Did Old Lady Tubman ever smile in her life? Probably not. She was dealing with an ugly situation in her time.

But..... would it really hurt to lighten up on that deadly scowl.... just a little bit?

Please ?

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I vote for Gumby on the $20.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mfontes said:
    I vote for Gumby on the $20.

i like yogi myself, just saying :)

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

The name's Gumby dammit.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have preferred Elvis but if Gumby's in the race he's got my vote!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

i heard that it didnt get through one of the government offices. word is that it might happen in 2026 fwiw

@teddysmith1952 said:
    Of all the famous and deserving American/ African American women. Harriet Tubman....really?

If we need to be so PC , I'd prefer to see a historical figure rather than some PC Pop Queen that is just basically ET on Steroids. But of course, all joking aside, Aunt Jemima is a great choice for America, the World AND PANCAKES !

My Grandma used to make Pancakes.