Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Tough times for BAC Numismatics

I was contemplating a bid in their most recent auction
10-18-2018 #12. I got side tracked and did not place my
bid. Checked the PRL on their website and was astonished
to see only 10% of the lots sold!! Wonder what happened?
They had a nice variety of items for all budgets even some
TPG items. I might inquire about post sale possibilities.

Any thoughts from board members?

Comments

• Options

everything I was interested in had a high starting bid

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received an E-mail from them. No
    discount for after sales. Oh well.

• Options
    numismagramnumismagram Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

A number of their previous sales have also had very low sell-through rates. Honestly, I don't know how you can continue for any length of time with results like that.

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numismagram said:
    A number of their previous sales have also had very low sell-through rates. Honestly, I don't know how you can continue for any length of time with results like that.

Their collector market is going to lose interest in them if sell through rates like that persist. Are they running a business or a museum?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I too have a lot I watched recently - the starting price is just too high (I did not Bid) and by the time one adds the auction fees and the currency exchange rates, shipping etc.- it can easily add 40-50% to the hammer. Of course they know that, but if they want International buyers, they could possibly do a little better with the start prices.
    The coin I watched this time around didn't sell in the previous auction either.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is BAC ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, never even heard of them.

Anyone ever heard of Numisor? Holy cow, everything sold for really good prices, in fact the thai stuff I wanted, I got utterly destroyed on each and everyone of them!!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am just not convinced as to how "real" the prices are, or the actual form the auction takes place. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something just strikes me as not quite right...These, or the AW auctions from Japan and a few others...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭

Its funny 7jaguars - I wondered the same thing about BAC. Can't put my finger on it either. Just gives the feeling of a collector trying to sell the collection at retail prices rather than a 3rd party business operating impartially.

I was the high bidder on this lot at Numisor. They had some nice stuff. I have not worked with them before, but I found them when doing some searches on numisbids.com.

1729 Mainz 1/8 Taler
    Death of Arch-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn; Bishop of Mainz and Bamberg
    Alex. 637, Slg.Walther 476, Heller 309
    KM 251

• Options

@worldcoinguy said:
    Its funny 7jaguars - I wondered the same thing about BAC. Can't put my finger on it either. Just gives the feeling of a collector trying to sell the collection at retail prices rather than a 3rd party business operating impartially.

I was the high bidder on this lot at Numisor. They had some nice stuff. I have not worked with them before, but I found them when doing some searches on numisbids.com.

1729 Mainz 1/8 Taler
    Death of Arch-Bishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn; Bishop of Mainz and Bamberg
    Alex. 637, Slg.Walther 476, Heller 309
    KM 251

Real nice pick up. The luster is amazing!!

• Options

@worldcoinguy and @7Jaguars are mostly likely correct
    in their observations. I went to Sixbid and looked up some of
    their previous auctions. Approximately 10% sell thru on the
    ones I checked. Then I went to their web site and Google
    Earth had pics of their location. Looks more like a residential
    area than business. If nothing else they have a spiffy web site.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that supports to some degree what I said. I have won more recent vintage coins from Numisor, but even that was sketchy (in one case I won it, no I didn't, not sure, won it, didn't, then finally offered it after sale).

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.