Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RIP Disagree Button (c. 2017- 2018)

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:

@Baley said:
    And everyone's accumulated disagrees went away, too. Noice!

that N word can only be used by @FSF I was just advised by legal.

Noice!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Safe Space button?

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never understood why it was introduced in the first place... :o

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Wabbit2313 said:
    What if someone like Oil comes back and hits LOL on every single post, but tells them, in his mind, they really mean "disagree". Will they all act like babies again?

"They" are banned, so doubtful. ;)

All you need is a new email address...

• Options
    edited October 16, 2018 3:48PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    With the expulsion of said buttons it should logically force more banter amongst the community members,as far as explaining your disagreements on a given topic. And to not "hide" behind a generic button. Hopefully any exchanges that may become "heated" will not result in further banning's to quality members herein. Let us accentuate what is good here and what can be learned. And show to all viewers what this forum can be.

STRONGLY DISAGREE

[issued just to prove a point]

I could also just go with

ONLY A MOUTH-BREATHING IDIOT WOULD SAY THAT!

[Issued to create more banter amongst community members]

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah! Let's just enjoy coins and CU together. Insider2 where are you? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 3:53PM

@FSF said:
    The disagree button appeared to make no sense. You're just asking for an antagonistic environment. Besides, it's completely lame for people to disagree without stating why, which would help with the quality of content on this forum. Of course that may also lead to too many tit for tat exchanges but I still believe the disagree button has no place in any forum.

Disagree. If we can't self-police by ignoring trolls or shaming them, then mods can occasionally step in. Needed; perhaps monthly?

NPRK-US Peace Summit medals/tokens/challenge coins and no disagree button? :# Where are the laughs? o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Yet they kept the "Agree" button?

Couldn't that mean if I don't click on every post to agree with it, I must, therefore, disagree with the statement?

This could cause a whole new level of insanity!

• Options

@FSF said:
    The disagree button appeared to make no sense. You're just asking for an antagonistic environment. Besides, it's completely lame for people to disagree without stating why, which would help with the quality of content on this forum. Of course that may also lead to too many tit for tat exchanges but I still believe the disagree button has no place in any forum.

DISAGREE

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MattTheRiley said:

Couldn't that mean if I don't click on every post to agree with it, I must, therefore, disagree with the statement?

SHUT UP!

The all caps is a nice touch! :smiley:

• Options

Hopefully, I've made my point and can stop yelling. :smiley:

Removing that silly button does not improve civility or dialogue EXCEPT where people obsessed with the button are concerned. If you never looked at the "scoreboard", you never even knew anyone had disagreed with you. And if you weren't obsessed with the anonymous agreement from total strangers, you wouldn't care even if you did notice.

• Options

@MattTheRiley said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MattTheRiley said:

SHUT UP!

The all caps is a nice touch! :smiley:

Just wanted to make a point. Much love. ;)

• Options

I just found out that I can't "Like" and "Agree" the same comment. How bizarre.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    How liberal.

I'm converting to libertarian on this issue. :o How liberal is that? :*

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 5:53PM

@MattTheRiley said:
    I just found out that I can't "Like" and "Agree" the same comment. How bizarre.

It's always been that way, I guess you have to make up your mind. :D

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to read the minutes, hear everyone's opinion, how this decision unfolded, just who said what to whom and how many participated because.........eliminating such a function has just closed a door for a possible open debate. Maybe I missed it but has anyone receiving a disagree tried sending a simple PM to ask why? I'm certain they have and if they don't reply, move on. Of course, someone who is abusing the system and constantly doesn't reply, I would ask the moderator to simply remove the disagrees. But removing this function has eliminated a very important means to measure someone up whether one would work a transaction with. A means to reach out to this individual. While I may have used the disagree, I can't remember for what but one doesn't need to explain each and every time if he believes there are two sides to the argument. For most, it takes longer to see another's point and so time is needed. Or a matter is really not all that important to argue.
    The forum should had made notice to the other members that someone has abused the system. But the "lol" function will be the next to go if we have a few people here who do not practice better tolerance. So what! If someone doesn't want to learn or see your point of view......don't cry about it and complain. Simply move on. Hopefully, they will open up, ask a question and resolve the matter. But now, we're shoving people back into their closets. Maybe that's fine for some of you but it's not productive.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FSF said:

Too bad we can't get a Noice button up in here. lulz

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish all of my substantive threads would generate this much attention. :'(

Welcome back to all of the forum members we lost! I hope all of you come back when the ban is lifted.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. What happened over the weekend was unfortunate. We provide this forum as a way for our community to share knowledge and socialize in a positive and constructive way. We found that more often than not, the disagree function led to inappropriate retaliation and negativity. We believe in each of our forum member's ability to still successfully disagree with someone using a written response in lieu of clicking a button.

Having read through all of your reactions to the banning of some well-liked members we will be offering them admission back into the forum after a probationary period. We hope that they do return to provide their helpful insights and valued contributions.

With all of that being said, the rules for this forum are clearly posted. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. We encourage you to use the flag functionality when warranted and we will do our best to review and act accordingly.

I hope that this answers any lingering questions or concerns on this matter.

Once again, thank you all for your contributions to this community, Let's continue to make this forum a welcoming source of information for new and seasoned numismatists.

• Heather Boyd
      Director of Marketing

Can you tell us what the "PROMOTE" number represents?

Promote

Agree

LOL

Everyone seems to have a 0 under this heading and none of us have been able to figure out what it stands for?

Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! I just gained a STAR because of this!

• Options

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. What happened over the weekend was unfortunate. We provide this forum as a way for our community to share knowledge and socialize in a positive and constructive way. We found that s forum a welcoming source of information for new and seasoned numismatists.

• Heather Boyd
      Director of Marketing

Thank you for reaching out! We do love it here.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2018 5:49PM

@HeatherBoyd said:
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. What happened over the weekend was unfortunate. We provide this forum as a way for our community to share knowledge and socialize in a positive and constructive way. We found that more often than not, the disagree function led to inappropriate retaliation and negativity. We believe in each of our forum member's ability to still successfully disagree with someone using a written response in lieu of clicking a button.

Having read through all of your reactions to the banning of some well-liked members we will be offering them admission back into the forum after a probationary period. We hope that they do return to provide their helpful insights and valued contributions.

With all of that being said, the rules for this forum are clearly posted. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. We encourage you to use the flag functionality when warranted and we will do our best to review and act accordingly.

I hope that this answers any lingering questions or concerns on this matter.

Once again, thank you all for your contributions to this community, Let's continue to make this forum a welcoming source of information for new and seasoned numismatists.

• Heather Boyd
      Director of Marketing

A MILLION thanks for taking action to address a messy situation, and then reassessing part of the action taken based on user sentiment. I do think the forum will be an even better place once the dust settles.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like rough and tumble debate, let the chips fall where they may. As long as basic rules of civility are followed, the forum will be an equitable trade of ideas and analysis. I don't know any other forum that has had a disagree button probably for good reason. And I am a member of well over a dozen forums; there are probably people here that are members of multiples of that. And I'm sure moderators get tired of weenies complaining about other members. Live and let live. This is just a numismatics forum anyway.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 8:09PM

""Having read through all of your reactions to the banning of some well-liked members we will be offering them admission back into the forum after a probationary period. We hope that they do return to provide their helpful insights and valued contributions.''"

--Keyboard interlock devices may not be a bad idea.

;)

• Options

(Bump to the top so people don't miss the news).

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only got one intentional "spam" and "disagree" - any others that I received were easily resolved as they were finger slips by the individuals on mobile devices (or so they said :D)

The marks that did not get removed were both by a single poster - I won't out them - that basically said "too bad, I'm leaving it". I happily blocked them :) - they didn't really contribute that much substance, anyway.

I really have appreciated @Paradisefound on these boards - she has set a great example, and has (along with advancing age) mellowed my cynical, sarcastic side - or at least made me think twice before hitting "Post Comment".

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    Yeah disagree might have been a bit harsh so could they now add a milder "You're a Dumbass" button instead? ;)

As with the buttons, while such a response may be perfectly accurate, use at your own risk ;)

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    It would be interesting to read the minutes, hear everyone's opinion, how this decision unfolded, just who said what to whom and how many participated because.........eliminating such a function has just closed a door for a possible open debate. Maybe I missed it but has anyone receiving a disagree tried sending a simple PM to ask why? I'm certain they have and if they don't reply, move on. Of course, someone who is abusing the system and constantly doesn't reply, I would ask the moderator to simply remove the disagrees. But removing this function has eliminated a very important means to measure someone up whether one would work a transaction with. A means to reach out to this individual. While I may have used the disagree, I can't remember for what but one doesn't need to explain each and every time if he believes there are two sides to the argument. For most, it takes longer to see another's point and so time is needed. Or a matter is really not all that important to argue.
    The forum should had made notice to the other members that someone has abused the system. But the "lol" function will be the next to go if we have a few people here who do not practice better tolerance. So what! If someone doesn't want to learn or see your point of view......don't cry about it and complain. Simply move on. Hopefully, they will open up, ask a question and resolve the matter. But now, we're shoving people back into their closets. Maybe that's fine for some of you but it's not productive.

Microagression alert

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeatherBoyd said:

Will you approach them when the time is right? Or do they need to contact you, Heather, or someone else? If so, when?

I understand there was no message or explanation to the newly banned members. Just an inability to log-in.

I imagine they'd like to know how, when, and to whom to atone.
    Lance.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:

@leothelyon said:

Microagression alert

You forgot the exclamation point. :D

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought of a great name for the problems we have been having:

“The Trouble With Quibbles!”

o:)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 10:42AM

NO MORE

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

NO MORE

Now how could anyone disagree with that sentiment.

No, really, how could anyone disagree - the darn button is gone! :o:D:DB)

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a bunch of Disagrees but was doing better with the help of a 12-step program. :#

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

...........real coin collector?

I love those Far Side cartoons!

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

I could care less about disagrees or other flags, I am here to learn and comment and will accept any criticism as warranted.

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    I could care less about disagrees or other flags, I am here to learn and comment and will accept any criticism as warranted.

You may feel that way, but most coin dealers are very fragile :s

all around collector of many fine things

• Options

@coinpro76 said:

@fiftysevener said:

You may feel that way, but most coin dealers are very fragile :s

LOL. As opposed to all those well-adjusted collectors.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was at least hoping for a different result this time, i reckon not >:)

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a letter from CU and I opened it and all my disagrees fell out all over my desk, did ya get yours yet :D
    I suppose some will require a shipping package

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:

@OldEastside said:
    I just got a letter from CU and I opened it and all my disagrees fell out all over my desk, did ya get yours yet :D
    I suppose some will require a shipping package -Steve

:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.