Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEW MINT ERROR DISCOVERY?!?

cherrypickerrrrrcherrypickerrrrr Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited October 9, 2018 1:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this in an all 2018-D $25 penny box straight from the MINT at the bank today..and stumbled upon this.?!

Struck through multiple wires of some sort possibly, let me know what you guys think!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• After some research, I'm thinking maybe struck through a detached piece of reeding or a "bezel"......??

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:
    I'm seeing it more as post mint damage that could have been made in any of a million ways.

Like thrown into the dime till in the register

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the "C" in "Cent." Now, think how the "line" can go UNDER the letter and also ON TOP and THROUGH IT.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    Found this in an all 2018-D $25 penny box straight from the MINT at the bank today..and stumbled upon this.?!

It is also useful for you to recognize, your bank doesn't get it's coins "straight from the mint." The Federal Reserve Bank or other coin processors will receive very large bags of coins from the mint and they will wrap them and distribute to the banks.

The time in the bag and at the Federal Reserve or coin processor is likely where your damage occurred.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see anywhere on the Mint's website where they are selling $25 lots of new cents.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinside7 clearly had 8 brothers

• Damn! Thanks for the knowledge, boys.

• @Insider2 said:
    Check out the "C" in "Cent." Now, think how the "line" can go UNDER the letter and also ON TOP and THROUGH IT.

It's different on different devices, which is weird....So are you saying that this means it's for sure PMD, or for sure not PMD?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file