Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just figgered out why USPS is losing money

derrybderryb Posts: 36,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in Forida.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options

Could it be possible that the sender just put in the wrong tracking ID? I had like 15 items to ship once, which is a lot for me. I uploaded some tracking numbers for the wrong items going cross eyed from staring at the receipt. It led to very confused buyers for a short period of time.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Come to my post office. You will know why...

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, that's insane !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It called a hub.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    It called a hub.

If Derryb lived in Siberia, you would be right.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

i had a post card get hung up in the springfield, ma. hub for 6 days before it left there. go figure

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I have a hard time just getting anyone send to Alaska... Let alone just for a scenic route.

• Options
    RWMRWM Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I always regret not keeping the tracking for a package I sent to NGC. It went around and around Florida for about three weeks.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a reason USPS is going broke. Try shipping a 1 pound package in the US for under $1. Can't be done. Yet China can ship a 1# item for $.65 with a tracking number. I recently bought an item from Newegg coming from China. As soon as it reached the U.S. it was taken over by our postal system(took 3 weeks to get to USA), upon arriving in the states it took 2 weeks to get to our postal system which declared the item undeliverable and was returning it to China. Newegg said as soon as it was returned they would refund my money. This Monday(a week later) the tracking number said delivered to a post office in California. I called Newegg yesterday and told them and they called back and said I would be refunded tomorrow. All this bull for less than $2. I'm sure our government has made some kind of postal deal for when Chinese shipments reach the U.S. and in the mean time our Postal System is going broken. Hmmmmmm.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

What makes it even worse is if you want to return the item for whatever reason on your own dime it costs way more in postage than the item is worth in many cases. So you end up keeping it or giving it away. The Postal Service is getting screwed in these contracts.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the mailman got a good deal on an Alaskan cruise...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    There is a reason USPS is going broke. Try shipping a 1 pound package in the US for under $1. Can't be done. Yet China can ship a 1# item for $.65 with a tracking number. I recently bought an item from Newegg coming from China. As soon as it reached the U.S. it was taken over by our postal system(took 3 weeks to get to USA), upon arriving in the states it took 2 weeks to get to our postal system which declared the item undeliverable and was returning it to China. Newegg said as soon as it was returned they would refund my money. This Monday(a week later) the tracking number said delivered to a post office in California. I called Newegg yesterday and told them and they called back and said I would be refunded tomorrow. All this bull for less than $2. I'm sure our government has made some kind of postal deal for when Chinese shipments reach the U.S. and in the mean time our Postal System is going broken. Hmmmmmm.
    Jim

Chinese government subsidizes

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I for one thinks that the USPS is awesome.

So you want your package to fly from Alaska to Florida directly, That sounds like a waste of money.

Hubs work!!!

Problem is that the package started in AZ according to ops origination scan then headed to AK. The hub is doing double duty on this trip.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 4:20PM

LOL ok maybe next time I should read the log dates duh..... my baaad.

4:20

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always found FedEx to be much more efficient and usually easier to track. Usps have been on the money for me lately though, NYC suburbs. But quasi government agency, not enough incentives to do their jobs right, reminds me of the characters from "central services" in Brazil. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IBVPgalgRAk/TJpNHYtyCKI/AAAAAAAACc0/tryuLUsQQlg/s400/Brazil.jpg Actually I see more problems and lack of competence in the lower level companies.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an eBay sale to CA one time and after a week the buyer e-mailed me asking where their coin was?

When I tracked it I found that it was on a slow boat to Hawaii. It arrived in CA and then was sent to Hawaii.

It ended taking 2 1/2 weeks to get to the right address. Luckily the buyer understood and I still received positive feedback.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least Alaska is in the USA. Could have been routed through Mexico City......I had that happen once (I really think the tracking was wrong and it was probably Mexico, NY).

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a Mexico Indiana.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a package recently that was shipped to me here in Washington State. It was sent from the East Coast, made a stop in Hawaii then to California and up the Coast to me. I have no idea as to how or why it would go to Hawaii first.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    The USPS is "losing" money because, unlike other public or private pension systems, it is required to prefund future pension obligations, rather than have a pay as you go system. This was forced upon it by Congress in 2006. c.f. - https://linns.com/news/postal-updates/2017/april/congress-raid-usps-coffers-30-years.html

If this was a universal pension system requirement, a number of profitable companies would suddenly also be losing money.

Yes-this is absolutely true. If not for this they would be showing a profit.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    There is a Mexico Indiana.

And a Mexico, MO.

• Options

@ADG said:
    The USPS is "losing" money because, unlike other public or private pension systems, it is required to prefund future pension obligations, rather than have a pay as you go system. This was forced upon it by Congress in 2006. c.f. - https://linns.com/news/postal-updates/2017/april/congress-raid-usps-coffers-30-years.html

If this was a universal pension system requirement, a number of profitable companies would suddenly also be losing money.

This is a postal union lie. Private pension systems ARE REQUIRED TO BE FUNDED. It is only GOVERNMENT Pension system that are allowed to be pay as you go.

https://www.manning-napier.com/insights/blogs/research-library/basics-of-corporate-pension-plan-funding

• Options

@koynekwest said:

@ADG said:

Not true. ERISA requires private pension plans to be funded. The postal union had been lying about this since 2006. It is only GOVERNMENT pensions that are unfunded

• Options

I am Civil Service. Can you tell me the > @jmlanzaf said:

@koynekwest said:

@ADG said:

Not true. ERISA requires private pension plans to be funded. The postal union had been lying about this since 2006. It is only GOVERNMENT pensions that are unfunded

I see. Can you define CSRS? FERS?

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 10:57AM

I see. Can you define CSRS? FERS?

That is not my point. Certainly, the government COULD continue to consider postal employees as federal employees/civil servants.

The original statement was that PRIVATE pension plans are not required to be fully funded. That is the lie to which I was referring.

• Options

These are not private retirement plans. They are, respectively the Civil Service Retirement System and the Federal Employees Retirement System. For those who hired in before about 1983 Civil Service was the retirement plan used and for those that hired in after that date FERS was used. Civil Service is an excellent plan-I can tell you that from personal experience.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I'm in Forida.

So I guess Forida is next to Narnia? :p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold GSA on the 'Bay, sent it to a place in Missouri. About a week later, I get a question from the buyer asking if I had mailed it. Used eBay shipping. Checked tracking and it was in Puerto Rico. Mailed from Maricopa AZ (Phoenix area). It definately took the scenic route. At least it was finally delivered.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    These are not private retirement plans. They are, respectively the Civil Service Retirement System and the Federal Employees Retirement System. For those who hired in before about 1983 Civil Service was the retirement plan used and for those that hired in after that date FERS was used. Civil Service is an excellent plan-I can tell you that from personal experience.

That is MY point. Private retirement plans ARE REQUIRED to be fully funded. Only government systems are allowed to pay as you go. Whether you think the quasi-independent USPS should be considered private or governmental is a different story. It is simply MISINFORMATION to claim that private companies are not required to be fully funded.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 8:52PM

Yep!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 days Chicago to Iowa to LA (1 hour away) then off to Florida today. Because I live in California. Seems legit.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s simple... @Gluggo was just trying to make sure everything was ok with your package. :D

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep them busy, while they and Ebay take more than me, in ebiz.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I think the entire planet just keeps getting stupider with each passing day.

I didn't vote for him >:)

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Griping and blaming is OK -- but do it based on accurate statements and for the goal of improvement.

The logistics problems created by thousands of tiny, inefficient local Post Offices, and Congress' refusal to permit USPS to operate correctly for an organization of its size are primary reasons for losses. USPS is the only delivery company for mail and packages that is forced to operate under these restrictions.

Instead of blaming USPS, why not contact your member of Congress and ask what they've done lately to help make USPS break-even and fund their pensions (again, mandated by Congress).

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS: The fact that the OP is in Florida is not why USPS is losing money. :)

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you or the Postal critter typed in the wrong address/zip code, a package can go on a very scenic journey....

laweekly:Any Error in Your Mailing Address Could Send Your Package to Post Office Hell

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 11:57AM

There must be some kind of bug, glitch, or virus in the USPS system.
    Once in a while is understandable, but multiple times per month and I am noticing absurd routing of packages.
    Still waiting on the package from the 12th that has circled the country and also one sent this week, was in Las Vegas, about 4 hours away from my California address, then it continued on to the east coast to visit Massachusetts and now New Hampshire.

There is NO logical reason a package should travel 4,600 to 5,800 miles with in the continental United States on a one way trip.
    I have driven coast to coast a few times and it’s around 3,000 miles

This is not a Hub pattern or simplified shipping, this is gross mismanagement and a huge continual loss on behalf of the USPS. The wasted fuel transportation costs must add up. Although I am doubtful, could it be abuse of the system by employees to up numbers or traffic for what ever reason... possibly to get more funding?

Is there someone that can be notified of this issue in the USPS?
    Is it a problem with eBay based labels?

• Options

I think I'm in the minority. I love the post office. I think it is amazing that a person can send a physical letter from just about anywhere in the US for 50 cents and 99% of the time it will show up to the recipient in 3 days. Also I use express mail just about everyday and only one package this year didn't make it on time. Received a prompt refund. None lost. Bad things do happen. I had a priority mail package stolen at my home post office. The package came into the post office on a Sunday and only 1 person was working. Post Office had no proof and declared it lost. It was obvious to me it was stolen and I immediately decided to change post offices. Every business has problems and it's easy to focus on the bad but think about it. If the post office wasn't as reliable as it is doing business would be much more difficult.

BTW remind of this next time I'm waiting for a package from the grading service and it takes over a week. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file