Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Obsolete State of Louisiana Notes

I am having some difficulty tracking down information on these notes, couldn't find many completed sales on eBay nor much information on any websites. I know there are books on obsoletes available but I currently do not have access to any. Bought a book of about 60 of these types of notes ranging in denomination from one dollar to 100 dollars. Any information on this one would be greatly appreciated, may have more questions on the others, thanks!

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a Michigan note and a Georgia note underneath these two Louisiana notes. Search Heritage Archives under "Obsolete Currency" to find past sales of these, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were they printed on the backs of other unissued notes?

From comparing to others for sale online, I'd guess they would go for around $30-40--the staining hurts.

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 4:49PM

Paper was scarce during the War of Northern Aggression. These State of Louisiana notes, dated February 24, 1862, were printed on the backs of unissued remainder notes printed in the 1830s for the Commercial and Agricultural Bank of Texas at Columbia (not to be confused with the later institution by the same name at Galveston).

Here is a $3/Tres Pesos on the C&A Bank of Texas that's been reconstructed from backs of State of Louisiana notes.

Front

Back (sorry for the smaller image)

The Louisiana notes are common. The reconstructed Commercial & Agricultural Bank of Texas notes are 2/3 easy, and 1/3 tough. Due to the way that the unissued Texas sheets were used to print the Louisiana notes, different ends are hard to come by for different denominations of the reconstructed Texas notes.

If I recall, with the $3/Tres Pesos denomination, it's the right end that is the scarcest of the three pieces. I don't remember which ends are difficult for the $2/Dos Pesos or $5/Cinco Pesos. For the $10/Diez Pesos and $20/Viente Pesos notes, the left ends are practically unknown.