Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Probably a stupid question

Does our host or the guys across the street grade notes with faded signatures?

Derek

EAC 6024

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

yes both do

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see why they wouldn't !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. So they don't grade them as problem notes?

Derek

EAC 6024

Nope, you're safe.

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you're talking about large size nationals. Since the signatures were applied by the local banks in most cases (handwritten, stamped, or printed) and the quality of the signatures was all over the map, particularly when they were stamped with cheap purple ink, the signatures (or lack thereof) are not factored into the grading process. In a few situations, the signatures were engraved on the plate by the BEP, upon request, but they don't tend to fade. So, even without signatures, the note won't be penalized by the grading services. Certainly, collectors prefer notes with signatures but, hey, on rare banks, beggars can't be choosers.

Of course, if the signatures have been re-drawn (or "Ossified"), that's a whole different story.......

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont see why they wouldnt do that. just saying :)

@johnny9434 said:

Signatures get redrawn often ...and sometimes they were applied decades before my time. If you are ever not sure, look up auction history on other examples from the bank to compare.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tookybandit said:

@johnny9434 said:

Signatures get redrawn often ...and sometimes they were applied decades before my time. If you are ever not sure, look up auction history on other examples from the bank to compare.

sound advice, many thanks

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learn new things here all of the time, thanks :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date