Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Panda market seems very soft and quiet at the moment

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the Panda's are experiencing a quiet moment. However, dealers are reluctant to lower their prices because of continued interest, especially the gold Panda's !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • I think when the need comes up again for master sets we'll see the next big move up. Yes Gold Pandas are stunning. My favorite design is 96, 98, 03 , 08 and 2013

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Thank you

• zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I believe the soft market has a lot to do with the strength of the dollar relative to the Yuan as well as the Chinese economy. There is a recession fear in China coupled with the Yuan being at a near 5 yr low vs. USD. Many of the Pandas I've sold have were to individuals with clients in China. I don't think we'll see 2011 prices again for a long time but I'm hoping it picks up to where it was a year or two ago. For now, I'm trying not to catch falling knives unless its an absolute steal.

• bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Just came in the mail today. Ordered at Philly ANA. Wasn't able to be there when they were released so had to order. Not a Panda fan but the liberty bell and independence hall sold this coin to me. Now that its in hand I wish I ordered 2.

• Yes, the market was on fire for 1/4 and 1/2 Pandas a couple years ago and part of last year for a little bit. Now things have settled quite a bit. I think possibly the next run up may be the 1oz. Gold Pandas. The dollar will fall soon enough I feel. Inflated value with an economy that looks like the healthiest it's been in decades but sadly the real truth is right below the surface. Most families you see driving around in two leased cars, a half million dollar mortgaged home and 2 kids and a pet may look like good times are here but the reality is student debt, no savings, everything is bought with higher interest rates and nothing is truly owned. One member or both lose their job and there is not enough savings to keep up their lifestyle for more than a month or two. I say it will be about 18 months until things really grind to a halt and the markets fall as does real estate.

Wow, went on a bit of a rant there. I do agree part of the reason slowed in China is due to their economic fears and the dollar vs the yuan.

• Congrats bugbit. She's a beauty. I liked the 2012 ANA Philly design but those haven't held much value unfortunately. Guess I'll wait for silver to bounce back at some point and move them then.