Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hostess Twinkies

Does PSA grade the 1975-77 Hostess Twinkies if they are in panel size. I mean the size that would have been under the Twinkie? I have several HOF's on strips that have not been stained. Wondered if they'd put the individuals in a tall boy holder?

Comments

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kimo,
    I have sent in a few Twinkie cards for grading, however, they were all from uncut sheets. I cut them and submitted them as regular sized cards. I don't think that PSA has ever graded them any other way so far.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    PSA grades the Hostess panels from those years, but as far as I know they do not grade Hostess Twinkie panels since all the pop reports from those years only list single from the Hostess Twinkies set. I'm not familiar with the difference between the regular Hostess cards and the Hostess Twinkies cards.

You should post this question on the "Hand Cut Panels - Bazooka, Hostess, Drakes, Kraft" thread also in the PSA Set Registry Forum.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Im not certain about 75-77 but I know for certain they grade the 79 panels. I have the Munson panel in my master set.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Hey guys,

guys, we're getting a little confused here.

First - the twinkee cards (not ding dongs, not cup cakes, only twinkee) were issued as singles which were in direct contact with the cakes so all of them that I have seen are stained. The white border around them is much larger than the border on the 3 card panel cards.

These twinkee cards have a black stripe on the back of the card that differentiates them even when they have been trimmed to the size of a regular hostess card.

Some of the full uncut sheets have made their way out of the factory many years ago because in the last few years, hand cut twinkee cards are appearing with no stains. I think this is the question that is being asked i.e can these full sheets be hand cut and sent in for grading.

If PSA were to stay true to itspledge when it stopped grading Nestle cards, "..we will not grade cards or panels cut from sheets."....but who knows if the current graders even know the difference !

Normal hostess panels 1975 - 1979 were issued in 3 card panels on the back of the boxes and PSA does grade them that way. See my recent article on panel cards in the recent Aug SMR.
  • kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    Let me rephrase....I have some 1977 Twinkies Panels that measure 3" x 4 1/4" . I'm assuming that is the size they used for the packaging as they all have stains. Will PSA grade them at that size or do the need to be cut down?
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PSA were to stay true to itspledge when it stopped grading Nestle cards, "..we will not grade cards or panels cut from sheets."....but who knows if the current graders even know the difference !

Armour guy,
    I am the one who has been submitting the Hostess "Twinkie" cards for grading ove the last year or so. The big difference between the Twinkie cards and Nestle is that the Nestle cards were only issued in sheets unlike the Twinkie cards. Twinkies cards can be found in both the way they were issued (in the individual Twinkie packages) as well as uncut strips and sheets. There would be no way to distinguish between them.

Phil

• Hi. I also tested the waters by submitting a "1975 Hostess Twinkie" card that had been hand cut from its original purchase and had been part of a sheet. I did not do too great of a job on it but it was an extra I had -> (Paul Blair). I seen a pretty sweet Nolan Ryan Hostess Twinkie submitted recently that I believe also sold recently and the cuts were way way way outside the borders. I have all of the 1975 twinkies cards cut from a sheet except for Rose, Ryan, Darrell Evans and Cey. I wish I still had a image of the ryan hostess twinkie card that had been up for sale a few months back on ebay, it looked great. I plan on doing a better job of my submissions with the other 1975 Twinkies cards when I do indeed decide to submit them.
    As for the regular 1975 Hostess cards I have been more involved with the single cut cards than the panels but I dig collecting them in both panel and single formats (both raw and graded).
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

I found a 1975 sanguillen twinkies hostess 2 player panel ...anyone seen one ...the 2 player I have never seen ! Is it a ding dong

[](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/79/yqoqoaqj
    ufnv.jpg "")

• estangestang Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I have never seen a Twinkies card without stains. Shoot me a PM if anyone has a Carew Twinkie or a "small head" Carew in tip-top shape...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Kimo - I have submitted a fair share and I have trimmed to borders for all - in the same way folks submitting the individual Hostess cards have done. That said, I have acquired a 75 Paul Blair graded as the full, untrimmed panel. There is no distinction on the label nor in the pop report making it any different from any other Twinkies card graded from that set. So it would appear that the answer is both (at least to some degree).

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

In case someone doesn't know what a "small head" Carew is (not for sale):

@morton35 said:
    Kimo - I have submitted a fair share and I have trimmed to borders for all - in the same way folks submitting the individual Hostess cards have done. That said, I have acquired a 75 Paul Blair graded as the full, untrimmed panel. There is no distinction on the label nor in the pop report making it any different from any other Twinkies card graded from that set. So it would appear that the answer is both (at least to some degree).

2 player panel or 3 player panel ?

• morton35morton35 Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited September 11, 2018 3:57AM

Single card - full Twinkies panel. To illustrate, the below are a "normal" card to the borders (Tolan) and the Blair full Twinkies panel I mentioned.
    Apologize for the scanner (leaves something to be desired), but posting for the size more than the images.

So then those faded borders are the norm..but how does that 2 twinkies player panel fit in..its not cut from a 3 player panel

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2018 6:30AM

The Twinkies didn't have 3 player panels that I'm aware of, only singles. They were used in the loose 2 Twinkie pack with cello wrap, hence why most are stained with Twinkie grease. Your two player panel was likely cut from a sheet/strip and never made it into packaging.

The 3 player panels were found on the longer boxes that Hostess products were packed in.

ETA: The Twinkie packaging I'm referring to was like these, what you'd see by the checkout:

The single card panel was underneath the two Twinkies to give the package some backing.