Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lowly George V Florin - GB Rarity, Guess the Grade, Well Maybe Not So Lowly!

This is counter stamped with the "A" at the Royal Mint and was the accepted alloy for the upcoming Egyptian gold series - please excuse the scratches on the holder. My own comments to follow tomorrow.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wowser! Nice!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a very nice coin !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the most important coin posted on PCGS forum for a while and it has less than 20 views so far...

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd try a stab at it to see if it was of any interest. This coin is ex-Spink from the grand old days when they were pretty much the be-all and end-all when it came to British coins (well Baldwin was in there too).
    Graham Dyer in I believe 1984 wrote an excellent article about the origin of the gold 1922 florins, and added a bit about the gold 1927 half crowns.
    The former were struck in various alloys (and weights) to test feasibility of such for the upcoming mintage of Egyptian gold coins. Evidently this was the accepted alloy which was then marked with the counter stamped "A" on the reverse.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

This is one I am very tempted to have regraded. The gold is really something to behold as I prefer it to the alloy of sovereigns, even in proof - such as the 1911 coins.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62?
    That's a very interesting coin!

• Options

Yes, MS62 is a good guess. I have seen worse in MS63 and they were IMO quite hard on this coin.