Home Autographs Forum
Options

PROVENANCE

How do I produce documentational provenance when the piece has been in my family since the day it was signed?

Passedndown to me now, it’s 3 generations/75 yrs old it is now. I don’t know what to do....

HELPPP!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that you've got our curiosity piqued....can you tell/show us what the item is?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the original owner is not still around, or the one after that, it is up to you to create a letter explaining its provenance, and have it notarized.

It will by itself carry very little weight but it's better than nothing. If you can find any historical record (newspaper mention of it) then that will help.

But...the signature still needs to stand on it's own as far as authenticity is concerned.

Just exactly what is this great treasure?

Remember, every single autograph has a "provenance" whether it was recorded or not. In virtually all cases it does not matter from a financial perspctive. Don't confuse a provenance that adds financial value with family history that adds sentimental value.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

That’s it!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs to be authenticated. There are way, way too many fake sports autographs on the market to take any chances. A family story means nothing in today's market. Babe Ruth autographs are about money and any time anything is about money fakes will abound.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I am not an expert on Babe Ruth so I can't comment on yours, but it is either authentic or it isn't. More specifically, it is either authenticatable or it isn't. There is no middle ground.

With all due respect, saying "I know it's real" is no sort of guarantee. It needs to be authenticated.

A genuine Ruth signed photo would be a highlight of many autograph auctions and any auction house would be anxious to sell it. To sell it yourself on a forum is foolish if it is real.

If the signature is not authentic (or can't be authenticated) then it could be a 75 year old fake that got handed down through the family that believed it was real - happens all the time.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your best bet would be to sell it through a reputable autograph dealer such as R&R Auctions. If your wish is to keep it in the family, submit it to PSA/DNA or other autograph authentication service that might be recommended by others on this forum.

• Options

The BST thread implied that someone bought it.

The seller was banned from the forums and he ripped off some people over on the coins BST. :/

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    The BST thread implied that someone bought it.

The seller was banned from the forums and he ripped off some people over on the coins BST. :/

Whats BST ?

• Options

Buy/Sell/Trade forums

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

when you joined august 29 and August 30 you selling a Babe Ruth