Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1915 Cracker Jack

Anyone currently trying to put together a set active on this board? If so how many of the 176 do you have?

Comments

• I have 42 of the 176 so far.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Joshua

How about some scans?

Best of luck in doing your set.

Mike
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome! Great Set!

Net54 would probably be your best bet for 15 CJ talk.

• i just heard about that place, but Leon said there aren't to many 15 CJ guys....

• I don't have a scanner but should take some pics and post. Do you collect 1915 CJ's?

• @Madison18Joshua said:
    I don't have a scanner but should take some pics and post. Do you collect 1915 CJ's?

Highly unlikely

• Sorry, quoted the wrong post. Highly unlikely that Leon said there aren't many 15 CJ collectors on Net54

edited August 18, 2018 6:51AM

@Madison18Joshua said:
    I don't have a scanner but should take some pics and post. Do you collect 1915 CJ's?

Yes I have a few. I mostly collect Star Player cards from that like Cobb, Wagner ect. I actually have 2 15 CJ Cobbs (was always my favorite). A complete set would be tuff but fun imo

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

I'd love to see some pics of your Cracker Jacks. It's my favorite pre-war set.

I got my first one at the 2015 National in Chicago and was quickly hooked. I only chased the Brooklyn players, though.

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am trying to find a sweet 15 CJ Shoeless to pair up with my Cobb and it is a tough one to find. You woukd think a reprint set would be easier to find - right bounce ;) What a great line and probably my favorite from the National!

KC

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Madison18Joshua said:

If you're talking to me Joshua.

No.

I'm doing the T3 HOF set.

Thanx for asking.

Mike
  • you are correct he didn't exactly say that, I've copy and pasted Leon & conversation below so there is no confusion...

There wouldn't be enough of that specific activity to warrant it.
    LL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua
    Will

Anyone ever suggested setting up a section like the T206 that focuses solely on 1914/15 Cracker Jacks?

@jpvintagesports said:
    Sorry, quoted the wrong post. Highly unlikely that Leon said there aren't many 15 CJ collectors on Net54

• What a great way to show to show your cards, each scanned and on your own personal website. Your collection is awesome :-)

@TNP777 said:
    I'd love to see some pics of your Cracker Jacks. It's my favorite pre-war set.

I got my first one at the 2015 National in Chicago and was quickly hooked. I only chased the Brooklyn players, though.

• @Stone193 said:

@Madison18Joshua said:

If you're talking to me Joshua.

No.

I'm doing the T3 HOF set.

Thanx for asking.

Those T3's are great looking cards - so big. How many HOF'ers are there? How many have you collected so far?

• @jpvintagesports said:
    Sorry, quoted the wrong post. Highly unlikely that Leon said there aren't many 15 CJ collectors on Net54

You are correct he didn't exactly say that, that is how I took the below conversation from Net54 he & I had...

There wouldn't be enough of that specific activity to warrant it.
    LL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madi$on18joshua
    Will do :-)

Anyone ever suggested setting up a section like the T206 that focuses solely on 1914/15 Cracker Jacks?

• x2drich2000x2drich2000 Posts: 63 ✭✭✭

It sounds like you were talking about the BST section. T206s, by far being the most popular prewar cards, are the only set to have their own section of the BST. As additional background, there didn't use to be a T206 section either until probably 3 or 4 years ago. While CJ are very popular, they don't even come close to dominating the E card section of the BST area the same way T206s overran the T card section. Right now there is probably about 3-4 BST posts a week for CJs, whereas there are probably 50-100 a week for T206s. So as Leon stated, there definitely isn't enough activity to create a BST section dedicated just to CJs.

• @KendallCat said:
    I am trying to find a sweet 15 CJ Shoeless to pair up with my Cobb and it is a tough one to find. You woukd think a reprint set would be easier to find - right bounce ;) What a great line and probably my favorite from the National!

KC

@x2drich2000 said:
    It sounds like you were talking about the BST section. T206s, by far being the most popular prewar cards, are the only set to have their own section of the BST. As additional background, there didn't use to be a T206 section either until probably 3 or 4 years ago. While CJ are very popular, they don't even come close to dominating the E card section of the BST area the same way T206s overran the T card section. Right now there is probably about 3-4 BST posts a week for CJs, whereas there are probably 50-100 a week for T206s. So as Leon stated, there definitely isn't enough activity to create a BST section dedicated just to CJs.

WOW!!! Right now there is probably about 3-4 BST posts a week for CJs, whereas there are probably 50-100 a week for T206s - based on that no where close! w/ net54 do you have to check every day to see new listings or is there a way to create an alert to what you are specifically looking for?

• Happy Holidays All

My latest addition....

I think I got a pretty good deal @ $1,900 with tax and shipping. Would like to hear others opinions.

• I'd say you did very well. Compared to PSA model 8's in the 3-4k range. Nice & Clean and presents well in the SGC holder

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Mordeai 3 Finger Brown Cracker Jack card a while ago. That's one of the cards I regret selling (also a 1934 Goudey Hank Greenberg). Good luck with the set build!

Daniel
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Great pose on the Wheat card! I always liked how he was smiling on that card.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CW said:

The first year that I collected was 1981. That is something that I'll always remember, is getting a Phil Niekro, and 8 year old me thinking, "What could that old guy possibly be smiling at during a pitch?"

All of these years later, and I still like that card because of it. I know now he's either smiling because he is confident the batter can't hit his knuckler, or perhaps because he knows his catcher can't catch it! Haha!

I'm not very familiar with the Cracker Jacks, but I like that Wheat is smiling, too. Great looking card!

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@CW said:

The first year that I collected was 1981. That is something that I'll always remember, is getting a Phil Niekro, and 8 year old me thinking, "What could that old guy possibly be smiling at during a pitch?"

All of these years later, and I still like that card because of it. I know now he's either smiling because he is confident the batter can't hit his knuckler, or perhaps because he knows his catcher can't catch it! Haha!

I'm not very familiar with the Cracker Jacks, but I like that Wheat is smiling, too. Great looking card!

I bet that pic was taken in pre inning warm ups

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• @thesouthdoesitagain said:
    I'd say you did very well. Compared to PSA model 8's in the 3-4k range. Nice & Clean and presents well in the SGC holder

It does but 90% of my cards are in PSA holders. I’d hate to send it to PSA and they give me less than an 8. Instead of crossover I was considering cracking it out but then I lean to just letting them look at it and grade it what they grade it.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

FWIW when I was collecting this set I cracked out 40-50 SGC Cracker Jacks and submitted to PSA. About 60% went straight to the same grade, the rest (with a couple of exceptions) either went up or down half a grade. This was before PSA had half grades, so I suspect they'd be even closer to straight across if done today.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

I crossed my Cobb over at the National from SGC to PSA and it also was a straight grade crossover. Love how it looked in the SGC holder with the darker background but prices for PSA and offers I received were more plentiful and higher for the PSA by a decent margin. Here are photos of the same card in SGC and the current PSA holder.

• that is a great looking Cobb!! It is one of the cards I still need ;-)

Griffins that is good to hear - I’ve got about 20 in need to get in PSA holders. so you always cracked them out and submitted as raw? I was thinking just send them in and not crack.

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

I had much better luck cracking and submitting raw- no preconceived notions.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Brandon25778Brandon25778 Posts: 8
    edited December 20, 2018 2:13PM

I have a Tris Speaker if interested.

CJ Cobbs are way undervalued imo. Especially 15

Problem is I can’t find a nice 15 Shoeless Joe to go with it - at least not under $75k!

KC

• @addicted2ebay said:
    CJ Cobbs are way undervalued imo. Especially 15

I hope this isn’t the case - lol as I need 1. There was 2 at the last REA auction a PSA 1 that sold for $4,500 and a SGC 2 that sold for $5,400 incl b/p.

• @KendallCat said:
    Problem is I can’t find a nice 15 Shoeless Joe to go with it - at least not under $75k!

KC

KC Did you see the PSA 1.5 that just sold for $18,000 in the last REA auction!?!?!

It made me feel really good about the PSA 2 I got back in July for $11,000.

Looking forward to seeing if the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox scandal next year sparks some additional interest.

• @Brandon25778 said:
    I have a Tris Speaker if interested.

Is it in a PSA holder? Send me scans & what you are looking to get for it at mlm23k@gmail.com

@Madison18Joshua said:

@KendallCat said:

KC

KC Did you see the PSA 1.5 that just sold for $18,000 in the last REA auction!?!?!

It made me feel really good about the PSA 2 I got back in July for $11,000.

Looking forward to seeing if the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox scandal next year sparks some additional interest.

Thank you for the note and i did see it in person at the National along with the one LOTG had at their booth for their auction. Trying to find one in similar condition to my Cobb which might be a tough task. Will keep searching and if I can’t find one Ty might go bye bye 😄

KC

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoeless CJ and RC are two cards I always have to have in the collection. Really happy to have found my ideal examples prior to the centennial of the scandal.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't even begin to describe how cool those Jacksons are.

Andy

@DM23HOF said:
    Shoeless CJ and RC are two cards I always have to have in the collection. Really happy to have found my ideal examples prior to the centennial of the scandal.

Love the new sig 😉

Of course that CJ Shoeless is amazing - that card and holder seem to glow.

KC

• @DM23HOF said:

Why is that only a 1? Back damage? The front looks amazing!!!!

edited December 21, 2018 10:06PM

Thx— yup, the back has gunk on it from a scrapbook; which I must be very grateful for, as that probably accounts for how it was so well preserved. That same front would’ve cost me god-knows-what if the back was normal.

To see a mint front and razor corners on a card this old amazes me every time I look at it. Plus it was in a box of the candy, which makes its journey of survival even more impressive lol. Wonder who pulled it out of the box, and how soon after it went into the scrapbook.

• @DM23HOF said:
    Thx— yup, the back has gunk on it from a scrapbook; which I must be very grateful for, as that probably accounts for how it was so well preserved. That same front would’ve cost me god-knows-what if the back was normal.

To see a mint front and razor corners on a card this old amazes me every time I look at it. Plus it was in a box of the candy, which makes its journey of survival even more impressive lol. Wonder who pulled it out of the box, and how soon after it went into the scrapbook.

Put a pic up of the back, that front looks amazing - how bad could the back be to get a 1.

Here is the “clutch” reverse that saved me like 75k :)

• @DM23HOF said:
    Here is the “clutch” reverse that saved me like 75k :)

The front makes it so worth it!

• @KendallCat said:
    Thank you for the note and i did see it in person at the National along with the one LOTG had at their booth for their auction. Trying to find one in similar condition to my Cobb which might be a tough task. Will keep searching and if I can’t find one Ty might go bye bye 😄

KC

The CJ Joe Jackson @ LOTG this past October was mine.
    It was a nice low-end addition and someone gotta a heck-luva-deal.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)

@thesouthdoesitagain said:

@KendallCat said:

KC

The CJ Joe Jackson @ LOTG this past October was mine.
    It was a nice low-end addition and someone gotta a heck-luva-deal.

I remember it very well. Al actually pulled it out of the safe in Cleveland to ask my opinion on the card and it was a nice card. I was offered a different Jackson CJ that was also authentic but I typically don’t buy authentic cards or qualifiers. Color and focus were strong on it - i just could not get past the line across the top of the card. For the price someone got a good deal. Personally I would pay big for Matt’s card and throw in some 1988 Topps to seal the deal if I went after a Jackson, but that card is not going anywhere 😉

KC

• Hello All, I am down to needing only 24 cards to complete the set, if you have any of these in low grade PSA holders and are will to part with them reach out :-) Happy New Year!

11 George Stovall
    25 Michael Simon
    29 Vean Gregg
    30 Ty Cobb
    34 Ira Thomas
    43 Rube Marquard
    55 Dick Hoblitzell
    64 Jimmy Archer
    66 Nap Lajoie
    67 Otis Crandall
    68 Honus Wagner
    70 Fred Clarke
    73 Max Carey
    101 Frank Schulte
    102 Ray Fisher
    126 Walter Blair
    130 Ivey Wingo
    133 Branch Rickey
    134 Armando Marsans
    154 Dick Rudolph
    171 Earl Hamilton
    172 Erskine Mayer
    174 Bobby Veach
    176 Hippo Vaughn

• No longer need #73 :-) thanks Luke!

• I just need 20 more!!! Here are the ones I need:

25 Michael Simon
    29 Vean Gregg
    30 Ty Cobb
    34 Ira Thomas
    43 Rube Marquard
    55 Dick Hoblitzell
    64 Jimmy Archer
    66 Nap Lajoie
    68 Honus Wagner
    70 Fred Clarke
    101 Frank Schulte
    126 Walter Blair
    130 Ivey Wingo
    133 Branch Rickey
    134 Armando Marsans
    154 Dick Rudolph
    171 Earl Hamilton
    172 Erskine Mayer
    174 Bobby Veach
    176 Hippo Vaughn

Prefer LOW grade PSA but will do SGC.

No Qualifiers

Thank YOU!! For those that has helped ;-)