Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson

With next year being the 100th anniversary of the 1919 World Series, I was wondering if now might be the best time to get a 1915 Joe Jackson CJ.

What should I expect to pay for a low grade PSA 1 or 2?

There is one on Tonyetrade for $8,950 for an SGC 1 that looks like it was in a blender! Looking for one has got me interested in collecting the entire 1915 CJ set - anyone currently working on one too? Anyone have any low grade to sell in a PSA holder?

Comments

• Thanks Paul. I I posted there tryin g to reignite the thread as people haven't talked in that thread in years. Do you collect Cracker Jacks?

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I am strictly a 70s guy :smile:

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Thanks Timbuk! You collect CJ's?

• A recent 1915 Joe Jackson (5/6/2018) sold in REA for 13,200, it was AUTH due to min size req.
    Just look at the Auction Sold Prices on PSA site. https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1915-cracker-jack/joe-jackson/values/239095
    A more recent one was on Probstein listed for 15k Best Offer. It was a PSA 2. Sold for 11k. (think that was a steal)

FYI- I recently consigned mine to LOTG for their Fall Auction (probably be held in November or so.) It was displayed at the Nationals as a preview for it.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • That one at REA looked perfect to bad for the owner it was a bit small. I was thinking $11k was a steal too, seems like $15k was a more accurate $$$. You collect CJ's?

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    A recent 1915 Joe Jackson (5/6/2018) sold in REA for 13,200, it was AUTH due to min size req.
    Just look at the Auction Sold Prices on PSA site. https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1915-cracker-jack/joe-jackson/values/239095
    A more recent one was on Probstein listed for 15k Best Offer. It was a PSA 2. Sold for 11k. (think that was a steal)

FYI- I recently consigned mine to LOTG for their Fall Auction (probably be held in November or so.) It was displayed at the Nationals as a preview for it.

• No I don't collect Cj's. Mostly rookie cards of Ho famers from the 40-60's. Tho I have/had some pre-war like Cobbs and Ruths and Gehrigs and such. The CJ Joe Jax was & is a major card in any collection. I have my personal & medical reasons forthcoming with my Dad. He recently just had a heart attack and it would be handy to have some additional funds.

• Sorry to hear about your Father,. clearly family takes priority. What would you say is your favorite card, not the most valuable but your favorite and why?

I'd say mine is between 1933 #53 Ruth, 1934 #37 Gehrig, 1948 Leaf Robinson, 1951 Mantle and hmmm that is a tough question because I can't name one... I need to name like 20 - lol.> @thesouthdoesitagain said:

No I don't collect Cj's. Mostly rookie cards of Ho famers from the 40-60's. Tho I have/had some pre-war like Cobbs and Ruths and Gehrigs and such. The CJ Joe Jax was & is a major card in any collection. I have my personal & medical reasons forthcoming with my Dad. He recently just had a heart attack and it would be handy to have some additional funds.

• I basically have the same plus many other RC's. (like Mays, Banks, 51 Mick, Hank Aaron, Clemente)
    I once had several FB rookies as well, but sold them to purchase some of the bigger items.
    My fav- tho it is also the most valuable is the 52 Mick #311. It is the white whale for obvious reasons, card everyone wants to own. When you get to hold it in your hands, it just does give you that feeling inside.
    I once had all 4 Cobbs, they were nice cards, but were disposable.
    Of all my cards, I think the 52 will be the last man standing. As for the 48 Paige, that's a close 2nd. (those are 2 cards my brother are jealous to have.
    The CJ Joe Jax, like I said was among the top 3....but as the timing approachs and the situation I have, it was just the best time.

• @thesouthdoesitagain said:
    I basically have the same plus many other RC's. (like Mays, Banks, 51 Mick, Hank Aaron, Clemente)
    I once had several FB rookies as well, but sold them to purchase some of the bigger items.
    My fav- tho it is also the most valuable is the 52 Mick #311. It is the white whale for obvious reasons, card everyone wants to own. When you get to hold it in your hands, it just does give you that feeling inside.
    I once had all 4 Cobbs, they were nice cards, but were disposable.
    Of all my cards, I think the 52 will be the last man standing. As for the 48 Paige, that's a close 2nd. (those are 2 cards my brother are jealous to have.
    The CJ Joe Jax, like I said was among the top 3....but as the timing approachs and the situation I have, it was just the best time.

The 52 Mantle is very popular but there are a ton of them it is difficult to uncover a good price as everyone on ebay wants more than even VCP. I thought I finally landed one from most recent LOTG auction at what I thought was a fair price. $5,800 for a rough PSA 1. It was item #23 in some unique display with an autographed picture as well. I thought people had simply looked over it, but after winning Al reached out saying he had questions of its authenticity which was confirmed from PSA that the card was in fact a counterfeit. So bummed but at least I didnt pay $5k for a fake.

What is the grade of your 1915 CJ Jackson, I am not able to see it. What are you thinking it will go for?

Again, hope things with your Dad improve ;-)

• thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 296 ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 12:34PM

My Joe Jax is going to be in the Fall Auction @ LOTG (probably around Novem.)
    It is Alter/Auth for obvious reasons, but in no doubt its a beautiful, deeply rich colored card with nice corners.
    I think its possible to reach the 13K mark that REA had similar to it that was Auth/min size.
    Who knows really, Weirder things happen, people not spending at REA and Xmas time and the 100yr mark and the hopes of a bidding war, since it is a lower-end for any ideal collector who been wanting one. It was also at the Nationals, so it did get some eyeballs already on it hopefully.

• @thesouthdoesitagain said:

Who knows really, Weirder things happen, people not spending at REA and Xmas time and the 100yr mark and the hopes of a bidding war, since it is a lower-end for any ideal collector who been wanting one.

I am looking forward to seeing if the 100th anniversary gives a bump to all the Black Sox cards in the CJ series.

Your card looks awesome, why the A grade? minimum size?

• The A grade- look at the top of the card.
    In hand, it looks to me a cut and glued back thing. But a collector looked at it at the Nationals thought it was a pen/pencil erasure thing. Since I do not have a loupe to magnify it, I can only speculate what my eyes see. What you think?

• I see it, I thought it was a crease. post it on net54 and ask them, I am sure someone there knows.

• @Madison18Joshua said:
    I see it, I thought it was a crease. post it on net54 and ask them, I am sure someone there knows.

Jeff P probably has a good indication or Al C. from LOTG. I consign my items to Jeff P.
    Until then, just wait for the auction and zoom in on the card.