Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Franklin DCAM or not at PCGS???? NOT -- Updated

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked this up at the last show I went to. The frost is just as cakey as the other two I bought in PCGS holders, but . . . . there are a few places on the portrait where the luster appears grazed and/or broken.

Since I have not been collecting proof Franklins, I thought I might get an opinion whether or not this would get the DCAM at PCGS????
Doug

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    My 56 is very similiar, several other 56's I have seen had alittle frost break in this area as well. My 56 went pr68dcam.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Nice Pictureimage
  • Options
    It is hard to tell dcam or not without seeing the mirrors and thus the contrast. It certainly looks close to the frost neccessary for dcam, but without seeing the mirrors, one cannot tell. As far as those dimple frost breaks, don't worry I have seen many 56s in dcam holders like that. I guess that is why they replaced the dies middle of that year.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gal! The mirrors are deeeeeeeeeeeeepppp, and the frost is very cakey. Mo, you answered my question about the frost breaks. Given the availability of this year in DCAM, I didn't want to waste $30 bucks unless I thought it would make the grade. It's a beauty, and I like it regardless. Sounds like I'll pop for the fee and send it in with the next batch. It's in a PCI 68DC holder, so the current plastic is worthless -- that means the old crack and slab at any grade. It will be interesting to see. I don't think it will reach a 68, but I think a 67 should be in order.
    Doug
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I've seen dcams with frost breaks like that on them. Seems PCGS is a little easy on them if the coin looks otherwise to be a super dcam.
  • Options
    Nope. This coin came back 67CAM. Looks like the absurd grading at PCGS remains the same, so I guess we can all sleep well at night.
    Doug
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. I would have liked to have seen scans of the whole coin. The frost breaks on your original scan are typical for a 56, but without seeing a scan of the whole coin, its hard for me to agree if its a Cam or Dcam...

67Cam is still nice Daddy-o!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file