Home Expos General Information and Discussion

What would you do?

So my first post in about a year is WWYD?

I get this guy who buys an expensive coin on eBay where he could have made an offer but buys it. I would maybe have come off 5% but not more. This buyer has many bad comments made about him. I did get a phone call from a friend who basically warned me to be careful so I waited a few days to ship to be sure the paypal didn't have any issues. Now he wants to get a discount off the sales price to keep it or he says he will return it. I actually don't care if I sell it or not but smell a scam coming from this guy. Any ideas how to be sure I don't get ripped off?

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
Tagged:

Comments

• YOU CAN ONLY SET YOUR RETURN POLICY TO NO RETURNS TO BE 100% SURE. IT IS A HUGE FLAW IN THE E BAY SELLING FORMAT.

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Ebay return policy is very clear. Either the buyer returns the item in it's received condition, or they don't get a refund. Of course any percentage off to satisfy the buyer is your choice. But be careful and make sure it is done through the ebay process. Have them file a return claim, then you offer a discount. When they accept the discount they have no further recourse on a return as the case is then closed.
    I currently have a buyer threatening me with a note I know is legit (I've been a collector for over 40 yrs.). His claim, after showing it to a collector and a bank teller, is that it's fake. I explained that many bank tellers (or even managers) have never even seen or held some of the old currency that is out there. They look at it and instantly say it's fake because they have never encountered anything like it before.
    Hope you've had good outcome with your situation.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did this work out?

thefinn
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

we are still having difficulty sleeping at night not knowing how this turned out!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2019 6:39PM

Que?🕛🕧🕐🕜🕑🕝

• Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@mainejoe said:
    Ebay return policy is very clear. Either the buyer returns the item in it's received condition, or they don't get a refund. Of course any percentage off to satisfy the buyer is your choice. But be careful and make sure it is done through the ebay process. Have them file a return claim, then you offer a discount. When they accept the discount they have no further recourse on a return as the case is then closed.
    I currently have a buyer threatening me with a note I know is legit (I've been a collector for over 40 yrs.). His claim, after showing it to a collector and a bank teller, is that it's fake. I explained that many bank tellers (or even managers) have never even seen or held some of the old currency that is out there. They look at it and instantly say it's fake because they have never encountered anything like it before.
    Hope you've had good outcome with your situation.

May I ask what type of note, out of curiosity?

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

If I recall correctly it was a 28 $1 FB @Ted 1

• Feepay is notorious for returns they side 99% of the time with buyers, Legit or not the return policies for are terrible no matter what you place in the listings, IE no returns etc. The Majority of buyers are honest in my opinion. About 2% abuse returns and are aware how the process is used. when you encounter one bad one it is very frustrating to the seller to close these cases. Speak your Mind then they also leave Negative review.

• Say no, and ask if they want to do a return. If they are legit they'll either stick to their purchase or do a return. Anything else is likely a scam. If anything weird happens, asking for personal info, continual prodding for discounts, etc. Block the buyer after the return window and move on. Good luck.