Home Autographs Forum

PSA/DNA Authentication Encapsulation Issue

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently submitted a Harper Lee AQS to PSA/DNA for authentication and encapsulation. I was a little disappointed upon receiving the autograph back and seeing that it was askew inside the slab. I know that this is a trivial complaint but considering the value of the item it would be nice to have it squared up properly within the slab. I have emailed PSA/DNA to see if I could resubmit the AQS after attaching it to an acid free backing (using archival corner tabs) cut to proper dimensions. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it is annoying.

Great quote. Did you get it from her? I never bothered writing to her as I heard she never responded.

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I agree, it is annoying.

Great quote. Did you get it from her? I never bothered writing to her as I heard she never responded.

This particular quote I purchased on Ebay years ago. I did have one that I personally received from Ms. Lee which I gave to my daughter. Ms. Lee signed a number of items for me in the 1990's and early 2000's. I don't think she ever refused to sign anything that I ever sent her.

Fantastic stuff. I might have tried once with her - don't recall. Did she have an agent/office, or was it a home address? Wish I tried harder as she is a good one to have.

In regard to the slabs, what is all that wrinkled plastic? I see that on other signatures things they encapsulate. Is it a soft sleeve that they then seal in the hard plastic case? Seems they need to step up their game a bit on the presentation. The slabs are not just for authenticity - they are for display also.

edited July 27, 2018 9:56AM

Yes, it appears that the card is placed in a soft sleeve and then sealed within the hard plastic.

I used to just address my items to her c/o Monroeville, AL until she responded with a PO box number.

I think this slab issue may be quite common. I just bought my first ever slabbed autograph (a check) and if was also slightly crooked.

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Have you tried tapping the necessary corner to get it to shift? It’s not locked like that.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

@alifaxwa2 said:
    Have you tried tapping the necessary corner to get it to shift? It’s not locked like that.

I haven't tried that yet. Thank you for the suggestion.

Let me know if it works. I assumed the soft plastic was meant to keep it "in place" inside the hard plastic cavity, even if it is in the wrong place. But maybe not...

I'll get if from the bank the next time I stop in. I will try tapping the corners to see if there is any movement and then let you know.

@PipestonePete said:
    I recently submitted a Harper Lee AQS to PSA/DNA for authentication and encapsulation. I was a little disappointed upon receiving the autograph back and seeing that it was askew inside the slab. I know that this is a trivial complaint but considering the value of the item it would be nice to have it squared up properly within the slab. I have emailed PSA/DNA to see if I could resubmit the AQS after attaching it to an acid free backing (using archival corner tabs) cut to proper dimensions. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

A further note on this issue...

I recently bought a check signed by J. Paul Getty and the check was crooked in the holder in he eBay pics but almost straight when I received it. So, I guess the items can sometimes be moved inside the holder.