Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

WORLD WAR II EMERGENCY NOTES..

I am pretty fascinated by the history of these yellow seal and brown seal WWII emergency notes. does anyone know of any books or articles that discuss the history of these in details? I recently picked up this North African $10 bill. Thanks in advanced.

Comments

• lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Peter Huntoon did an extensive article on them for the Society of Paper Money Collectors journal a few years back. Join the Society and you can hunt up the article in the archives on the website.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

SPMC is a good group to join!

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

+1

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Great looking note!

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am interested in the emergency notes also. Going to a show next month hoping to find some nice examples. I am a little confused on the importance(or lack of) of "blocks" though. Still trying to get some clarification on that topic.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    I am interested in the emergency notes also. Going to a show next month hoping to find some nice examples. I am a little confused on the importance(or lack of) of "blocks" though. Still trying to get some clarification on that topic.

They are similar to mint marks on coins.

thefinn
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:
    I am interested in the emergency notes also.

Be careful, WWII Emergency notes are like currency crack.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@Hallco said:

Thanks. That kind of makes sense. I have been familiar with the A-L/1-12 Reserve bank coding for a long time. I guess I just get thrown off when it starts with an S and ends with a C(just used for an example)

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@thefinn said:

@Hallco said:

Thanks. That kind of makes sense. I have been familiar with the A-L/1-12 Reserve bank coding for a long time. I guess I just get thrown off when it starts with an S and ends with a C(just used for an example)

I hear you. That's why with currency I just collect type. In Canada they have more signature combos with blocks that they collect, since they don't have 12 FR branches.

thefinn
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 1:10AM

A block refers to the prefix-suffix letter, or star combination appearing in a serial number. For example, S57726811C is from the S-C block. Many collectors try to assemble a block set for 1935A $1 Emergency Issue Hawaiian Silver Certificates which would include A-C, C-C, F-C, L-C, P-C, S-C, Y-B, Z-B and *-A.