Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

My Unusual (and First) Set/Showcase

PCGSPhotoPCGSPhoto Posts: 768 mod
edited August 3, 2018 1:46PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Believe it or not I’ve never really assembled a set of coins before. But over the past year I’ve worked on a set of inexpensive modern coins around a central theme. It was fun to assemble, and I even have a few banknotes and stamps as a supplement. This isn’t an official registry set, just a showcase at this time.

Some of you may not find the subject matter fun, though.
Anyway, here it is. Radiant: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.

Comments

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's awesome.

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh wow, how cool is this!!!! Great job...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and has a scientific theme!!!!! I like it!

• Thanks! I tried making the digital album,
    but most of the coins sized relative to the largest item (which is quite large), so most of the pics we’re too tiny in the album. Plus it lacked my commentary which I think is pretty important to convey the collection’s “narrative”.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set!!

I especially like the fact that you are including non-coin items to show that your theme spans multiple medias. I have done that with my sets, including stamps, textiles, and contemporaneous publications, as it adds more context to the overall theme.

Great job!!

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2018 6:22AM

@PCGSPhoto said:
    Thanks! I tried making the digital album,
    but most of the coins sized relative to the largest item (which is quite large), so most of the pics we’re too tiny in the album. Plus it lacked my commentary which I think is pretty important to convey the collection’s “narrative”.

I would like to see the digital album have an update to address this! The program scales all of the coins based on the largest one. I think it would be better to allow the collector to set the scale based on the size of the majority of the set's content instead. Yes, that will make the largest coin take up a large amount of an album page, but the remaining coins would be more visible.

Check out my Libertas Americana Medal digital album as another example. The smallest one is 32mm and the largest is 100mm. Except for that single 100mm Kilo medal, the rest of the set ranges from 32mm to 50mm:

Libertas Americana Medal set

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an awesome looking set!!! I agree that the commentary really ties the set together and it would lose some of it's meaning in a digital album alone without the comments.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • @cardinal said:
    I would like to see the digital album have an update to address this! The program scales all of the coins based on the largest one. I think it would be better to allow the collector to set the scale based on the size of the majority of the set's content instead. Yes, that will make the largest coin take up a large amount of an album page, but the remaining coins would be more visible.

Perhaps even an option to keep all the coins the same size so they're all equally visible?

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done - very creative and glad you shared it with us.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Cool

• CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I agree that the digital album awards should be revised to allow more diverse presentations.

Just saying...

• Really cool set!

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice set! Thank you for sharing!

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

i LOVE it. I am sure that your ideas could take PCGS digital albums to the next level.

OINK

• KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Nice work! Beautiful set. Really enjoyed seeing these with your commentary.