Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

SGC crossover to PSA

Hello all, this is my 1st post and hoping for so good feedback. I have a few cards in SGC holders that I was considering attempting crossing over to PSA. From talking to a few people through ebay some have suggested one of three things to do:

1. Leave them slabbed they way they are.
  2. send them in for crossover.
  3. Crack them and send them in so the graders wont be biased.

The cards are each valued at between the 5-10k so the PSA fees would be $300 per card. Which it seems doesnt seem worth the cost but my opinion changes daily. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Leave the cards in their case as a crossover ,i damaged some cards by cracking them open,you have expensive cards let the pros open them, SGC are a reputable grading outfit the grades should not change that much.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! I would also leave them in the holders and let PSA deal with them. I may just be unlucky, but I can never get an SGC to cross over to PSA in the same grade. Usually a grade, sometimes 2 lower. I'm not sending in cards of your magnitude, though. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck and share your results!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2018 2:53PM

If well centered for the grade, I would expect them to cross leaving them in the holders. The one thing PSA seems to be more strict on than SGC is centering.

ETA: Posting scans in the main SC&M forum will get more eyes and you'll get opinions on whether they are likely to cross at the same grade or not.

• Options

Thank you all for your comments. I haven't sent them in or cracked yet. As I said my opinion changes so often and I do not plan on selling anytime soon. They are all pre-war cards and I have come to understand that is SGC strongest area of grading. Its the set registry that had me most interested in crossing over. Now I am leaning to just keeping them in the CGC holders and using the $$$ I would have paid on crossing over to invest in more cards :-) I will let y'all know if I do something different.

Thanks again for the comments.

I tried attaching photos but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nagurski showed up fine, you should just need to drag and drop the other scans on a PC to the text box here.

I would leave the Nagurski in it's current holder.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

yes leave bronco alone

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

DO NOT crack and send. SGC is a good company, it's a nice looking card. Why risk a "trim" or a lesser grade. In my experience, crack and submit only results in heartache and financial loss. Keep the card as is, it's a looker.

Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭