Home PSA Set Registry Forum

What does "D.G. Only" mean in the PSA pop report for this card?

dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1995 Classic 5 Sport Vladimir Guerrero Autograph that im going to sub soon. Obviously because of its age, it will need to be subbed as a PSA/DNA item. In the pop report, I go to 1995 Classic 5 Sport Autographs section to where this card is located. Then I see its the only one listed that states "D.G. Only" under the card name. None of the others have this and one of the other PSA graded ones on ebay doesn't note the "D.G." on the flip or as a variation. Anyone have an idea?

myslabs.to/smzcards

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what it stands for, but seems to have been used on a lot of auto'd cards: https://www.psacard.com/pop#0|d.g. only

Looks like it's only noted on pre-1998 manufacturer auto'd cards, my best guess is it's to indicate "Dual Grading" (card and auto authentication) is required.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like it's only noted on pre-1998 manufacturer auto'd cards, my best guess is it's to indicate "Dual Grading" (card and auto authentication) is required.

You know I had a feeling it was something grade only but couldn’t figure it out. This sounds like the likely answer. Thanks!!

myslabs.to/smzcards

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still confused by it. The 1996 SPX Records Breaker Jordan has regular and D.G. Only but they both look the same to me. Only one under that heading is an auto.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/#0|1996 spx jordan record

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 6:27AM

I wonder if it has to do with earlier graded stuff vs newer graded stuff and the variations in the registry. Also noticed inconsistencies in the 1997 Bowmans Best Autos too. Some are classified under the regular 1997 Bowmans Best section, as PSA/DNA variations (most of the pop) and others (the earlier graded ones and only a handful) as their own pop report section called "Bowmans Best Certified Autographs". these show as two different variations in the pop report with two different pops, however are the same card and variation. This issue is indicated by PSA in the registry by the following paragraph:

"Please keep in mind that, in some cases, PSA started recognizing certain varieties within specific sets long after the company began grading the issue. As a result, some of the population data may not reflect accurate numbers since there may have been significant amounts of cards graded before PSA began noting the variety on the PSA label and in the PSA database. As more and more hobbyists re-holder their previously-graded cards to reflect the new information, the more accurate the data will become."

For the 1997 Bowmans Best Tony Gwynn Auto, I noticed the DG here as well....

myslabs.to/smzcards

The Jordan is an odd one, I would expect only the PSA/DNA auto'd to show up under DG Only and all the rest without.

For the Gwynn, I'm not sure when PSA implemented the requirement for auto certification of pre-1998 factory issued autos, perhaps some were submitted prior to this requirement?

I'm sure customer service could clarify/fix these if you've got time to wait on hold or receive an email response ;)

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

They should publicly post decisions they make that impact Registry customers, or all PSA customers for that matter, instead of us having to contact them every time.