Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Why would the 58 sell for more than the 64?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 14, 2018 6:07PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Both graded by the same company and as far as I can tell, the same series note. Only a few days apart. I'm at the beginning stages of learning about currency and this confused me. Any help is much appreciated! And remember...the link will probably say something about "the listing has ended......" Just click the word listing and you will see them(terrible Ebay with this new idea)!

This 64 sold for $111.76 on June 17th:
ebay.com/itm/1935-A-1-PMG-64-EPQ-Uncirculated-Hawaii-Silver-Certificate-WWII-Note-Fr-2300-/232798072142

This 58 sold for $168.49 on June 12th:
ebay.com/itm/1-1935-A-Hawaii-WWII-Emergency-issue-PMG-58-brown-seal-RARE-EPQ-/173352301605

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears someone paid too much for the AU note. Looks like minor edge damage on the right side. Makes no sense. Maybe someone will see something I’m not seeing.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 6:55AM

As the saying goes..."on any given day".The buyer for the unc note got a great deal and the buyer for the AU paid more than market.......no mystical way to explain it...it happens.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's FleaBag - 'nuff said.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2018 8:11AM

First one is a rarer LC block and also if the purchaser's eye sees it as CU, he may have the possibility of cracking out and grading higher elsewhere. PS - when I click on the second one's image, ebay vectors me to a raw PC block for sale

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I viewed the links, they were both S-C block notes.

@mbwizkid said:
    When I viewed the links, they were both S-C block notes.

You are correct now - somehow I was getting the wrong image - I must click the very small Ebay text just to the right of the image to see the orig.
    My bad, apologies

• redsealusnredsealusn Posts: 39
    edited July 16, 2018 9:44PM

A 58 can have better eye appeal than a 64 so I can understand that happening in certain situations. But $168 for an AU is baffling. $1 Hawaii notes in general are very overrated and not worth the prices they bring. Especially the SC block.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redsealusn said:
    A 58 can have better eye appeal than a 64 so I can understand that happening in certain situations. But $168 for an AU is baffling. $1 Hawaii notes in general are very overrated and not worth the prices they bring. Especially the SC block.

Thanks for the information. Do you feel the same about the North Africa notes?

• mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018 12:54PM

Maybe the 58 buyer had some reason for the 1-7 broken ladder? Otherwise I agree, on any given day of eBay, prices make no sense. I have buyers do the same thing to me. Not to mention that there is certain buyer/seller loyalties as well. I do find that there are time(s) of the month that will make a notable price difference also (as noted on these two-Tuesday and Sunday sales). Just my 2¢ worth ;)

Both North African and Hawaii had a fourth printing which IMHO feel it affected Serial and Seal embossing height by reducing it.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:
    Both North African and Hawaii had a fourth printing which IMHO feel it affected Serial and Seal embossing height by reducing it.

Thanks. I'm in the early stages of learning about paper and those are 2 notes I have interest. I appreciate your opinions. :)

• gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

@numbersman said:
    As the saying goes..."on any given day".The buyer for the unc note got a great deal and the buyer for the AU paid more than market.......no mystical way to explain it...it happens.

I mean... there is some ay to explain it... :-)

• I noticed that the 64 bidding started at 99 cents and the 58 at $99.99. Would that make the deference of the end price?

• @Hallco said:

@redsealusn said:

The North Africa notes are better than the Hawaii notes for sure. I feel the North Africa notes are worth about what they usually bring. The Hawaii notes are just too common to be bringing some of those prices. Another note that is very overrated is the $1 1928 red seal. There are thousands in CU condition so what makes them a $500 note? Obviously the perception among many uninformed collector's that they are a rare one year issue. And dealers have managed to manipulate prices along the way to catch their fish. There was a time when I could buy an uncirculated $1 Hawaii note for $15. And an uncirculated $1 1928 red seal for $55.

• tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

It's no different than going to 2 different car lots and checking out cars...same model, same year and different mileage...one sells for more than another depending on what homework the buyer has done, pressure from dealer to buy the lesser car, it's a partly cloudy day and the sun shines on the lesser car or rains on the better car...I could go on.....when you want to buy currency, you need to know what to look for, realize that grading is a subjective activity. One grader sees what another doesn't (most of the time they're very close). One note might have great eye appeal to one buyer but others might not like what you see. What I'm saying is to do your homework on what makes a nice note, learn to grade for yourself and buy what you like (not the grade on the plastic covering).

• kidrootbeerkidrootbeer Posts: 20
    edited July 24, 2018 4:35PM

my guess is that the centering of the AU is eye-nicer than the 64

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2018 10:39AM

Timing is everything. On the 64 Note, perhaps there was a smaller following. Perhaps there was a larger (or more aggressive) following on the 58. Stuff like this happens quite a bit.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • It seems like whenever i'd buy a note via auction, the next one like it but better condition sells for 20% less. Go Figure!