Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Specimen Coinage

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the criteria for designating a 20th century coin as a specimen? I have the 1927 specimen nickels and New Rochelle commemorative half dollars is mind. Is it merely because the coins look "special?" How does one designate between a prooflike business strike and a specimen for e.g. the New Rochelle halves?

Comments

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Specimens are coins that are not struck for use in circulation but are not struck as proofs, often for presentation use. They often are prooflike or exceptionally well struck, and can be recognized by the die(s) used to create them.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good post, ad I will be interested in reading informed responses. I assume that the 1921 Zerbe Morgan dollars fall into this category.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what coins would be required in a complete specimen set? I know the first would be the 1894 dollar. Then what?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

@Currin said:
    Does anyone know what coins would be required in a complete specimen set? I know the first would be the 1894 dollar. Then what?

It would be a fun and expensive project.

• Options
    edited July 11, 2018 7:11PM

Here are some of them. I am not sure how complete it this. Most are unique
    1792 silver center cent
    1927 Buffalo nickel
    1792 half dime
    1794 half dime
    1875-S dime
    1875-S 20c
    1796 half dollar
    1838-O half dollar
    1839-O half dollar
    1794 dollar Morelan
    1795 dollar
    1844-O Liberty $10 Smithsonian
    1854-S Liberty $20 Smithsonian
    1856-O Liberty $20
    1906-D Liberty $20

This would be a real challenge

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@You said:
    Specimens are coins that are not struck for use in circulation but are not struck as proofs, often for presentation use. They often are prooflike or exceptionally well struck, and can be recognized by the die(s) used to create them.

Wouldn't the 1804 Dollar be a specimen since it was minted solely as a presentation piece?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@Stooge said:

@You said:

Wouldn't the 1804 Dollar be a specimen since it was minted solely as a presentation piece?

If PCGS is a competent organization, then no. They grade the 1804 as a proof.

• Options
    YouYou Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@afford said:

@You said:

Can you please explain how in the world you can recognize them by the dies used to create them,
    thanks.

For example, the 1964 specimen strikes and the specimen New Rochelle halves all have die lines or marks that are recognizable and match one another. Often there is no record of specimens being struck and thus no original die basis, so the first example found can be the subject of much controversy. These first examples will be judged as specimens simply based on the fact that they have excessively sharp strikes and prooflike devices, and possibly other attributes like square rims that wouldn't be found on circulation strikes. Once further examples are found they may be confirmed against the first one by their dies.

The 1804 dollar has a little too much history to be classified as a specimen, but it really could have gone either way. There's not much reason why the 1804 dollar should be classified as a proof if the Zerbe coins are classified as specimens. In general many of these attributions just come down to general consensus, with Specimen being designated to more unofficial strikings with little historical evidence for their existence, and Proof being designated to more official and well-known strikings.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

1875-S 20c

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 7:54PM

You had me at Nickel, had to look it up and found this, I learned something today, I have never heard of the 1927 SP's anyhow here is an image of one (not mine)

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

@OldEastside said:

Steve

Steve, I think you have fell in love with coin. You need to look away!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 7:57PM

"Specimen" has no accepted definition. In the 19th century US Mint it could mean anything from an ordinary coin sent to someone as an example or sample, to a full proof or master coin. For that period, the meaning can only be derived from context. (At your doctor's office "specimen" is a sample; same at the single malt tasting bar.)

Dealers, collectors and TPGs seem to call anything that is slightly different a "specimen" although the coin might be noting more than part of the normal range of appearance from normal dies. The 1964 "specimen" or "SMS" coins are part of that wishful-thinking fantasy.

• Options

@Currin said:
    Here are some of them. I am not sure how complete it this. Most are unique
    1792 silver center cent
    1927 Buffalo nickel
    1792 half dime
    1794 half dime
    1875-S dime
    1875-S 20c
    1796 half dollar
    1838-O half dollar
    1839-O half dollar
    1794 dollar Morelan
    1795 dollar
    1844-O Liberty $10 Smithsonian
    1854-S Liberty $20 Smithsonian
    1856-O Liberty $20
    1906-D Liberty $20

This would be a real challenge

1964 sms coins are also treated as specimen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file