Home Q & A Forum

Difficult to share my hobby with other folks my age-24

CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

It just bugs me. Being a younger collector I find it very hard to try to share my finds with my freinds. Who could care less and when I fijd someone to try to share my knowledge with they become one of those people who post there **** pocket change trying to get rich. I would love it if I could find more people my age to start collecting.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of ways one could respond to your post. Since I don't know the particulars of your life and situation, I will try to give some advice based on what you wrote. Here are some ideas:

You feel frustrated that your friends don't enjoy coins like you do. Try to just have a good time with your friends without needing to involve coins.

The ones who do get interested sound like they immediately go in a crazy direction having no interest to you. If they showed interest like that in the beginning, maybe you might be able to steer them in a different direction.

There are coin clubs, etc you could try.

There are a lot of posts and threads on coin forums asking "what are your other hobbies?" Read these, see if you like anything there. Then meet people who are into that hobby. Find the right type of people to introduce to coins. That way you are doing a sort of vetting process.

Hope this helps!

• CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for ypur input. I enjoyed it! It isnt that I dont like my pals but I mean I probably could have worded this better! I wish I had more freinds into the hobby. The coin club mention is for sire a must! I wpuld love to meet new people that are also in this hobby. Thabks for the info!

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    when I fijd someone to try to share my knowledge with they become one of those people who post there **** pocket change trying to get rich.

So YOU are the one sending those people here? :D:D:D

I can sympathize. I have a few hobbies where I just accept the fact that people in my life won't be very interested.

It is good of you to try to interest friends, and I hope you continue to do so, but don't let their lack of interest discourage your own interest. You will need to seek out others with a similar interest rather than rely on generating a group of collectors among your circle of friends.

Agreed!! Thank you for the comment. Yes I believe the coin clubs may help in that area

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE
    You're gonna do just fine...and remember you don't really want too many folks knowing about what you collect and have. You can share any of your experiences right here on the coin forum.

Jim

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@CRH4LIFE said:
    when I fijd someone to try to share my knowledge with they become one of those people who post there **** pocket change trying to get rich.

I can sympathize. I have a few hobbies where I just accept the fact that people in my life won't be very interested.

It is good of you to try to interest friends, and I hope you continue to do so, but don't let their lack of interest discourage your own interest. You will need to seek out others with a similar interest rather than rely on generating a group of collectors among your circle of friends.

About 15 years ago I had lunch with an engineer friend of mine whom I had worked with the previous dozen years, and I brought along a handful of slabbed coins in various series to show him, thinking I would get him interested in numismatics. One of them was an AU 1942/1 Mercury dime. I showed him that one and he snickered, looked at me with an ironic smile, and said, "You mean someone would actually pay more for a coin with a mistake on it?"

I never again tried to get anyone over the age of 12 interested in coins.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

@giorgio11 said:

@JBK said:

@CRH4LIFE said:

About 15 years ago I had lunch with an engineer friend of mine whom I had worked with the previous dozen years, and I brought along a handful of slabbed coins in various series to show him, thinking I would get him interested in numismatics. One of them was an AU 1942/1 Mercury dime. I showed him that one and he snickered, looked at me with an ironic smile, and said, "You mean someone would actually pay more for a coin with a mistake on it?"

I never again tried to get anyone over the age of 12 interested in coins.

Kind regards,

George

Wow! Talk about cringe worthy. Thanks for that share!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my life, age is irrelevant to meeting people who have similar interests in hobbies. Sharing knowledge and experience is worth the patience of discovery. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Coins don't mean anything to most people, young or old. I think there is certainly decreasing participation in our hobby among younger people. This is just a reflection of changes in our society, how people now usually pay for things, and migration to other more modern hobbies based on new technologies.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join Instagram! There are a TON of younger people on there who love coins and they aren't hard to find. I know a lot of members in the coin community on there, including myself ;) I am younger than you and so are most on there.

• I sympathize with you, none of my friends are interested in the hobby. but the more you put yourself out there, the more collectors you will find

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

You should check out the coin community on Instagram. Lots of young people enjoy coins on that platform.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

Very true. I may see what is on there!

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just think in 20 years you will be complaining that you have aches and pains and involuntary gas releases. Who cares the age of friends. Have some fun with your non collecting friends then come to the forum.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRH4LIFE said:
    It just bugs me. Being a younger collector I find it very hard to try to share my finds with my freinds. Who could care less and when I fijd someone to try to share my knowledge with they become one of those people who post there **** pocket change trying to get rich. I would love it if I could find more people my age to start collecting.

They exist. Try Instagram and social media. The number of serious collectors is smaller than for older age groups, but there are definitely serious collectors under 35.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2018 7:08AM

@CRH4LIFE said:
    Very true. I may see what is on there!

You can find me on there if you like. I have the same name as on here.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 26 and was introduced to the world of coins about 10 years ago by my best friend in high school. We both work in the coin business in different capacities, so I speak from a position of privilege, but my closest coin connections have all been made through coin clubs, shops, and shows. (No disrespect to the friend, but we now live halfway across the world from each other.) Almost none of them are my age, and that's fine. Probably my closest coin friend is 20 years older than I am. When we talk about coins we might was well all be the same age. Some of my most enjoyable conversations are had with people in the 50s and 60s who have been doing this a lot long than I have, which is great.

I would strongly (STRONGLY) encourage you to join a coin club. Heck, join two or three. Attend them every month if you can. Take an active role in the club. Go to shows and shops. Introduce yourself to as many people as you can. Find people with similar interests. The more people you meet, the more people you'll get introduced to and your network will grow exponentially.