Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone have a COA for a Daniel Carr 1916 Barber half die pair 1, you could make a copy of?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 3, 2018 11:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I need a copy of a COA for a Daniel Carr Overstrike; 1916 Barber half die pair 1.

I would be happy to pay a few bucks for your time and postage.

Thanks, GrandAm

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

High grade or bag handled ?

DC might can pop 1 off for you, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2018 11:09PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    High grade or bag handled ?

DC might can pop 1 off for you, too.

High Grade,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dan,,,,,,,,,, is a busy guy,,,,,,, I hate to ask him to do it.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been times in the past where I would sell a "factory reject" at a discount to somebody in person, intentionally WITHOUT a COA. Such rejects typically have undesirable defects, but not so bad that I would melt it. I am hesitant to make any COAs for past issues unless I know the chain of custody of the coin.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2018 12:02AM

The coin is in an ICG MS 69 holder.

• Options

Most of the original certificates for those coins have the typographical error "Dolar". Many of those were corrected to "Dollar" by hand using a pen. This eBay listing (not by me) shows one: https://ebay.com/itm/232797054181

I could print another certificate for that coin. I did change my printer at some point, so a new one might look a little bit different.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right on !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Most of the original certificates for those coins have the typographical error "Dolar". Many of those were corrected to "Dollar" by hand using a pen. This eBay listing (not by me) shows one: https://ebay.com/itm/232797054181

I could print another certificate for that coin. I did change my printer at some point, so a new one might look a little bit different.

I have one that says
    1916 Barber Half Dolar
    High Grade

I also have some that explicitly say "Die Pair 2"

Also keep in mind copies often look like a copy.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    There have been times in the past where I would sell a "factory reject" at a discount to somebody in person, intentionally WITHOUT a COA. Such rejects typically have undesirable defects, but not so bad that I would melt it. I am hesitant to make any COAs for past issues unless I know the chain of custody of the coin.

I find it funny that D Carr is sensitive about making reproductions of things.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

Dan doesn't make reproductions he over stamps real coins there is a Huge difference !

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

There goes that eBay link again.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018 7:27PM

hey cameonut2011 can you explain what you disagree with ? and if you dont like Daniel Carr coins why would you be in a thread about Daniel Carr COA ?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018 9:00PM

@1940coupe said:
    hey cameonut2011 can you explain what you disagree with ? and if you dont like Daniel Carr coins why would you be in a thread about Daniel Carr COA ?

It has nothing to do with liking his work or not. I agreed with Crypto's comment, and see his piece as along the lines of a reproduction. I don't think the distinction you made was significant. For all intents and purposes, the "real coin" is dead. Save perhaps for faint traces, the original coin was destroyed.

P.S. I didn't post an explanation as (1) I didn't want to make an off topic post and (2) I thought it would be understood in light of Crypto's post.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@dcarr said:

More like issuing more original certificates than a "reproduction".
    Regardless, I want to make sure the certificate is the right one for the right piece before I make one.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@dcarr said:

I have one that says
    1916 Barber Half Dolar
    High Grade

I also have some that explicitly say "Die Pair 2"

Also keep in mind copies often look like a copy.

I didn't expect to make more than one die pair. So I didn't put "Die Pair 1" on the earlier certificates.
    When the first die cracked I decided to produce a second die pair and put "Die Pair 2" on all those certificates.

• Options

@1940coupe said:
    Dan doesn't make reproductions he over stamps real coins there is a Huge difference !

So if the Chinese made their fakes using repurposed culls it would be ok?

The counterfeiters who make 100$ bills by bleaching 1$ bills to get the paper right are more legit than people just using a color copier?

I get that D Carr is open and honest but the fog of time might not be. I just typically take a no funny stuff stance in life, 100% legit is a good thing and say what you will his stuff isn’t 100% anything.

• Options

@Crypto said:
    The counterfeiters who make 100$ bills by bleaching 1$ bills to get the paper right are more legit than people just using a color copier?

Anybody doing this is drastically increasing the apparent face value of the legal tender, and presumably doing so with intent to deceive.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Crypto said:

Anybody doing this is drastically increasing the apparent face value of the legal tender, and presumably doing so with intent to deceive.

What do you pass your creations for once you modify them? Face value? Intent is not all laws are based on, practice counts too.

I maintain the thing that you do with the most legal ambiguity/risk is the creation of legal tender looking dies. The overstikes are just vague enough to get ignored.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@dcarr said:

I'm not sure he is 'sensitive'...........I would think that he does not want his COA's used with 'coins' that do not warrant them, JMO :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I'm not sure he is 'sensitive'...........I would think that he does not want his COA's used with 'coins' that do not warrant them, JMO :smile:

See the photo above,,,,, the coin is a MS69..... obviously a high grade piece,,,,,,, didn't realize this would be such a big deal.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@1630Boston said:

See the photo above,,,,, the coin is a MS69..... obviously a high grade piece,,,,,,, didn't realize this would be such a big deal.

Be assured my comment was not specifically directed at your coin or your request for a copied COA. :smile:
    I also believe that @dcarr 's comment was posted prior to you posting the photo above and I was responding based on that.
    Any way, You have a very nice example of that 'coin', congrats :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited July 5, 2018 3:42PM

@dcarr said:

@Crypto said:

Maybe, maybe not. What if one of them sold their pieces as art and advertised them as such? Where would the distinction be? What if someone did a $1 bill over a $2 note in furtherance of "art?" What if someone emulated a 1996 series $100 bill over a 2013 series $100 bill as a novelty?

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I need a copy of a COA for a Daniel Carr Overstrike; 1916 Barber half die pair 1.

Thanks, GrandAm

Have you thought about grabbing a high quality scan from the internet and printing it on card stock? Of course, you would need to disclose this to any future buyer.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@GRANDAM said:

Thanks, GrandAm

Have you thought about grabbing a high quality scan from the internet and printing it on card stock? Of course, you would need to disclose this to any future buyer.

It ia apparent to me that you don't own any Dan Carr items,,,,,, they are not printed on card stock or even heavy paper. Just medium weight paper and it appears to me that they are all copies of an original. A photo copy would be little different from one that comes with a coin with the exception that Dan noted above that he hand added another "L" due to a misspelling on the COA.

This coin is for my personal collection and not for resale any time soon.

P.S. the last time I "BORROWED" a photo from the internet alot of you guys came after me with pitch forks and fire torches. I see guys using "BORROWED" photos all the time and people here suggest it frequently and announce doing so but I guess I am the exception and deserved to "rosted alive at the steak" like I was.

Thank-you very much.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@GRANDAM said:

Thanks, GrandAm

It ia apparent to me that you don't own any Dan Carr items,,,,,, they are not printed on card stock or even heavy paper. Just medium weight paper and it appears to me that they are all copies of an original. A photo copy would be little different from one that comes with a coin with the exception that Dan noted above that he hand added another "L" due to a misspelling on the COA.

This coin is for my personal collection and not for resale any time soon.

P.S. the last time I "BORROWED" a photo from the internet alot of you guys came after me with pitch forks and fire torches. I see guys using "BORROWED" photos all the time and people here suggest it frequently and announce doing so but I guess I am the exception and deserved to "rosted alive at the steak" like I was.

Thank-you very much.

I didn't attack your photo usage habits. If it isn't even printed on card stock, that's even better as the paper will be cheaper and easier to print even with the most difficult printer. Good luck.

• Options

I didn't attack your photo usage habits. If it isn't even printed on card stock, that's even better as the paper will be cheaper and easier to print even with the most difficult printer. Good luck.

No you didn't but that is a sore subject with me. About half a dozen guys here came at me pretty hard and your post brought up a sore subject with me.

Not meaning to get on you cameonut2011

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

cut it off already ...this is just a simple inquire for a copy of COA. Be NICE :)<3

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I will come out of retirement and open a COA authentication service!

;)

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file