Home Precious Metals
Options

Melt value of Sterling Silverware?

JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone wants to dump a few sets on me
What should I pay per ozt?
Is there a rule of thumb for these things?
Thx

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 4:01PM

the question to ask is about how to value the knives. (non-silver blade)

sterling is 92.5%. weigh it and account for the knives, then go back of spot some. The some is the other part you need to know. I don't have that answer either.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pieces patterns are actually more valuable than their weight. Do some pattern homework to find the names of the patterns. One can look up retail values at replacements.com for a rough idea. I cringe thinking of killer pieces going up in smoke.

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    Some pieces patterns are actually more valuable than their weight. Do some pattern homework to find the names of the patterns. One can look up retail values at replacements.com for a rough idea. I cringe thinking of killer pieces going up in smoke.

Especially complete sets. I have a few sets of sterling flatware I have zero use for but they are worth far more than their intrinsic silver value.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

True

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 7:40PM

Very tough to sell these days for much more than melt. I just spent several months trying to sell my parent's full set for 8 on Ebay, 56 pieces total, including the original blonde maple storage box. It was a very nice, mid-century modern Reed and Barton set. Not one bona-fide offer, not even for melt. Unless it's a particular pattern that somebody is looking for, good luck. I finally ended up selling it to Midwest Refiners for 90% of melt.

And yes, the knives present a problem in figuring the total silver weight. If you sell for melt, you've got to bust out the stainless blades from the handles (or pay to have it done by the refiner)

• Options
    ranger1202ranger1202 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:
    Very tough to sell these days for much more than melt. I just spent several months trying to sell my parent's full set for 8 on Ebay, 56 pieces total, including the original blonde maple storage box. It was a very nice, mid-century modern Reed and Barton set. Not one bona-fide offer, not even for melt. Unless it's a particular pattern that somebody is looking for, good luck. I finally ended up selling it to Midwest Refiners for 90% of melt.

And yes, the knives present a problem in figuring the total silver weight. If you sell for melt, you've got to bust out the stainless blades from the handles (or pay to have it done by the refiner)

Thats true, the market is tough right now for sterling. Especially mid-century modern. I have a 10 place Georg Jensen (1959) set I bought for around melt and it is "valued" at considerably more. I haven't tried to sell it and will not but I imagine I would have a tough time getting its full "value". On the other hand, 1800s or turn of the century english sterling from from prominent makers generally sells significantly better than melt (and "valued" at much more). I'm an optimist and feel like sterling items will make a comeback one day and see this time as a buying opportunity. This should be especially true if flatware and tea sets continue to be melted down. I'm in my 30s so I have time to wait and see.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not of collector value, then break out the knife blades, weigh the set, compute melt value and figure you will get 85-90% of that....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

I still purchase it at 40 cents a gram and am holding for the long run...

• Options
    biosolarbiosolar Posts: 164 ✭✭

I too purchase at 40 cents a gram, except the large dinner knifes which I figure at $5-$7 each. That may be a little low on the
    dinner knifes, but in order to get it exactly right you would have to pull the blade out and remove the wax from the handle
    which a fair amount of work in it self.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018 11:51AM

@biosolar said:
    I too purchase at 40 cents a gram, except the large dinner knifes which I figure at $5-$7 each. That may be a little low on the
    dinner knifes, but in order to get it exactly right you would have to pull the blade out and remove the wax from the handle
    which a fair amount of work in it self.

What I do with them is: the total weight x .4 then x .2

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USASoccer said:

What I do with them is: the total weight x .4 then x .2

Are you talking about the knives :smile:
    Thanks @USASoccer

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never pay for knives. Most, if not all, refiners will not take knives and the reason? They have handles filled with epoxy or lead or such. But just a think outer shell of silver. Not worth the effort, or cut fingers, to remove the silver from the blades and epoxy. If I do get them it's for free. Then when the grandkids come over I let them separate the metals/glue and epoxy and then they get the money if it's clean enough for the refinery. I found that age 10 or above is a must or you have crying, cut fingered kids!
    bob:)
    Oh, and I pay 32¢ a gram. I tell the customer what they are worth retail on ebay and also the pitfalls on ebay. Let them make the decision as to take my cash now, or do it themselves.................I rarely get turned down.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@JJM said:
    Someone wants to dump a few sets on me
    What should I pay per ozt?
    Is there a rule of thumb for these things?
    Thx

Any of it Oneida?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pay less. It's worth less, especially when "they're dumping it". That's been a good strategy for me.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

One local shop pays -25% of silver value and doesn't account for the knives in weight.
    The work involved in removing the blade negates the value for them.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

We just use silverware everyday now.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions