Home Q & A Forum
Options

list of....??

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

is there a list available, either for free or for sale, of all the US rare coins, errors, varieties or just scarce.
hypothetical example: **1956 1 cent mintmark X? **. in this case it is the MM which would be scare.
or 1950 silver penny DDO etc... you get the idea.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be extremely good to have. I'd pay for something that combined all that info from all the different sources. It would be as big as Breen's Encyclopedia. AFAIK, many collectors have made their own list of "special" coins to look for. I have and several coins on it have never been published anywhere.

Today, we (unfortunately not me) have access to the Internet in the palm of our hand.

• Options

yes, you are right, thank you.
    But, if one does not ask, one does not get an answer.
    and you never know if someone did make a list , or even published one.
    here is the reason I asked:
    Every once in a while I get the opportunity to buy a coin sollection out of an estate, usually complete and unsearched.
    being in Canada, it is mostly Canadian coinage. But often it does contain US material... as a few days ago.
    that collection contained, in silver 90%, 84 dimes, 37 half dollars, 51 quarters and 17 morgan and peace dollars.
    I checked the 1 dollars on Fleebay and even though there was one 1880-S, they were all very normal. there were also 123 US 1 cent coins from between 1910-1985. run of the mill stuff.
    So what do I normally do ?
    I sell the US coins and others I do not want to my buddy BJ who will flock them on Feebay or other sources.
    I take a small mark-up as profit. Recently he told me he had a US dime going for over $ 100.
    would be nice if there was a list o:)

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would help if we knew the date. You have a RedBook of U.S coins right? Here is the thing about collectors - common coins and stamps in top condition go for stupid prices. A common stamp with a retail value of 20c can easily sell for $100. Same goes for Lincoln cents with mintages of several million.

• Options

Sorry, I do not have a red book. I live in Canada and there is no such a book for Canadian coins.