Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My latest newp is Junk.

:)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice junk LM.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Are there a lot of raw fakes with this coin on Ebay?

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan - Very nice example. I've looked at hundreds of these, and most are dull to very dull. Yours has very nice luster for the grade and a great strike.

The background on these is interesting: 1934 China "Junk" Dollars were re-struck in 1949 at three US mints (P,D,S) and are indistinguishable from the original 1934 dollars and from each other.

@ADG said:
    Are there a lot of raw fakes with this coin on Ebay?

Probably. However, it's not like certified examples are not available. At PCGS, there are 10,157 in PCGS MS62 and 23,200 better. That allows you to be choosy, either lustrous or nicely toned or both.

For my World Coins Manufactured by US Mints set, I went the toned route. Got this from CRO a few years ago:

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2018 3:10AM

Yes, it's definitely a high-population coin. Not like an 1881-S Morgan dollar, but five-figure pops in 62 like mine.

@mvs7- that toner is SWEET!

Your junk looks like it's sailing into the sunset.

(Now all you need are some birds in the sky above it...) ;)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick-up LordM!

All this talk of population in various grades got me curious, so I checked out the coinfacts page for this Dollar where I saw this monster:

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice boat dollar!

It could be a 1949 restrike due to the uncirculated condition.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Nice pick-up LordM!

All this talk of population in various grades got me curious, so I checked out the coinfacts page for this Dollar where I saw this monster:

That is INDEED a monster!

(Of course, if I was the one submitting it, it would have come back "questionable color".)

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like clear saying. You'll have to find one with a few birds on it now

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2018 7:28AM

The Nationalist government also put the reverse of the boat dollar on their paper money in 1949.

China Republic Paper Money - One Silver Dollar - Canton

China Republic Paper Money - One Silver Dollar - Chungking

China Republic Paper Money - One Silver Dollar - Generic

These didn't help as the Communists took over the country anyway.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭

nice one LM! A great coin!

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

ROFL!!!

Nice coins!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is that guy with the stashe not grinning? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2018 6:45AM

Here's one coming up at Heritage...

Republic Sun Yat-sen English Matte-Proof Pattern "Junk" Dollar Year 18 (1929) PR65 NGC, dies prepared at the Royal mint but struck in China, KM-Pn99, L&M-94, Kann-615. One of the six different 1929 Junk Dollar patterns struck by various countries, this English type is instantly recognizable by the roiling seas on the reverse. This Matte-Proof specimen is the first we have seen in this finish or been able to locate in our research, as this rejected pattern was produced for the most part just above the standard of a typical business strike. In addition to the rarity of this exceptional piece, the remarkable state of preservation must also be mentioned as an example certified in a Gem designation is seemingly nearly as rare, this piece being unequalled in Proof at NGC and tied with a single business strike certified in MS65 with none finer at either NGC or PCGS. Whether produced intentionally or a product of mint sport, this example is potentially unique and certain to stand out among the highlights of the most advanced collections of the Chinese Republic.
    Ex. W&B Capital Collection

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a heck of a day at sea, sir!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like "smooth sailing" !!! ;)

Timbuk3