Home Autographs Forum

Profiles in Courage book inscribed by JFK

Hey there, I was looking to sell my inscribed copy of Profiles in Courage by JFK. I found it in a second hand bookstore in my university. The book was printed in 1956 and it's in a pretty good state for its age. The front of the paper dust jacket is missing but the back of the paper sleeve is inserted into the book as a piece of paper as shown on one of the pictures. There is no official paper of authenticity but the pictures have been looked at by Nate D Sanders and one of his experts and he has confirmed them to be real. (Proof in e-mail that I can send to you if you're interested.) I'm wondering what the people here think about the authenticity of this item.

I thought that this would be the right place to show off this incredible once in a lifetime find!

The inscription says:

To Hobart M'Keever

With very warmest regards

John/Jack(?) Kennedy

If you'd like some more pictures or if you have any questions just message me.

After a bit of thinking I have decided to sell it to someone who's interested so if you want to buy the book or make an offer, just send me a message!

I hope to hear from someone.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece.

Geez, he sure had a funny way of signing his name. I mean the last name doesn't look at all like it should be "Kennedy"

The first name also doesn't look like John or Jack.

The sig sort of looks like it's closer to Neil Armstrong. LOL

But that's the way JFK did it, looking at some google images of his sig.

This I do know about presidential autographs...they are usually more valuable when the sig occurred while he was POTUS.

Good luck with it.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It needs to be authenticated. It would be very easy to buy a book like that and add a bogus inscription and signature.

I recall a book at my local used bookstore that was supposedly signed by a well known artist. The artist had died in 1959 but the book was a 1963 printing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first glance it looks good, but what is that shiny triangular area?

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2018 1:24PM

It looks good to me. You definitely need to have it authenticated. Kennedy secretarials can be very misleading. I used to have this autograph that he wrote on the back of a photograph. It dates to the time he was a Senator.

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

At first glance, looks good to me too. Would have to look closer at it and some of my reference books to be sure, but first impression is thumbs up.

Buying US Presidential autographs