Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greysheet

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that some have gotten the new greysheet already.
On one of the dealer sites a few dealers are not real happy with the change!
One commented that it’s too bulky.
Another stated the wholesale pricing is off.
I myself have not seen one yet so can’t say what I think.
One problem is anyone can buy it so the term dealer newsletter is misleading.
I know of no such printed wholesale pricing.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to America, anyone is free to buy anything they want. You don't have to be a dealer to buy a price guide.
    By the way you can also order in .pdf format and have it emailed instantly if you are worried about bulk.

As for pricing I haven't and will not pay over wholesale for a coin. Market is WAY too weak to pay any more. Greysheet is good for that although one could argue some of their wholesale pricing is closer to retail. Some series, Morgans, Pre33 gold can be had 10-20% back of current bid.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Welcome to America, anyone is free to buy anything they want. You don't have to be a dealer to buy a price guide.
    By the way you can also order in .pdf format and have it emailed instantly if you are worried about bulk.

As for pricing I haven't and will not pay over wholesale for a coin. Market is WAY too weak to pay any more. Greysheet is good for that although one could argue some of their wholesale pricing is closer to retail. Some series, Morgans, Pre33 gold can be had 10-20% back of current bid.

Yup. Definitely a buyer's market. The key is not to fall in love with the coins. Except for a very few scarcities, it will come around again...possibly one nicer.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

If shooting you missed the paper not to mention the bulls eye.
    Not talking about pricing only.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why post negative comments when you admit you have not even seen it?

Did anyone at this site like it? I can guarantee you, many dealers at the shows I go to would be lost without it.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I keep saying and now they guy that always disagrees with me is saying it!!! YES ITS A BUYERS MARKET. NOT A SELLERS MARKET....Been this way for awhile. It will come back eventually!.... I hope :)

@thebigeng said:
    Well, I keep saying and now they guy that always disagrees with me is saying it!!! YES ITS A BUYERS MARKET. NOT A SELLERS MARKET....Been this way for awhile. It will come back eventually!.... I hope :)

If you're talking to me, when have I ever said anything but that it's a buyer's market?

@PTVETTER said:
    If shooting you missed the paper not to mention the bulls eye.
    Not talking about pricing only.

you missing what was said
    NEW GREY SHEET TOO BULKY GS MAKES MORE ON BIG ADS SAVES ON CHEAP PAPER TOO MANY CONFLICTING PRICE GUIDES COMING OUT AND THEN THERE ARE THE WILD INTERNET PRICES! PUBLIC WANTS TO SELL AT RETAIL, BUY BELOW DECEMNT WHOLESALE.
    direct from dealer to dealer site
    second dealer quote
    What do you all think of the new "Grey" sheet?

I first noticed that the last 15 years of the Proof sets and Mint sets are no longer listed.

I am looking for 1921 Morgans in MS64 and I noticed that they have gone from $50-$105-$110 for the P-D-S's last month to $68-$136-$143 in the new monthly.

Are these wholesale prices such as they were supposed to be in the old CDN or are these now retail prices?

I'm confused. There are a thousand retail price lists out there.

If that is what this is, why do I need another?

I haven't perused the whole sheet, just noticed these because I needed the prices on these specifically.

I was just trying to share some information, but I guess this in NOT the place to do that

(deleted comment)

Those post are copy and pasted from a dealer site NOT my comments!
    In the first post I admitted I did not see the new sheet and did not make ANY comment for that fact.
    Just sharing what was said on a DEALER site.
    These post were the ONLY post I saw in the site.
    since CDN checks sited like these for pricing maybe you missed it.
    It is under Talk. If you care to look for your self.
    If you are not a dealer member you can't see this.

Some here just can not read, but can read into thing that are not there.
    Are you reading what I said or what was copied and pasted from other dealers.
    There is a difference. RIF

• JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

@jdimmick said:
    I saw a friends today, loved it, best thing John could have done. I normally buy a few downloads over a few monhts, but saw where if you were not a subscriber, you would not get it. So I called, they said its best in print form (which I suspected knowing the format) and that they are already sending copies out, (which I knew) . Called today and got me a subscription.

and for those complaining about prices, market on everyday stuff is soft, has been and will continue. you just have to be aware of it, and buy or sell accordingly. Auction prices, ebay , etc are probably best accurate info for this.

Thank you for your support!

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@blitzdude said:

Yup. Definitely a buyer's market. The key is not to fall in love with the coins. Except for a very few scarcities, it will come around again...possibly one nicer.

Well on Ebay, MS Morgans and Pre-33 Generic Gold seem to be selling above bid, even on 99c no reserve auctions.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received mine today. I can't say it's as pretty as the previous format but it's far more convenient to use. I like the trade-off. If nothing else, you have to give them credit for the constant stream of improvements that have been made since the change in ownership. They're definitely not lazy and I'm sure they're not done.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

JohnF - a question. With the 11 x 11 format, can I still buy a download and print it to regular sized (i.e. 8.5 x 11) paper without the type being shrunk too small to easily read? I'm hoping that the info can be can spread over to 2 pages to keep it readable.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
    edited April 23, 2018 8:43PM

The thing with Ebay that I don't like as a buyer is not knowing if I'm being shilled or not. So I don't play there anymore auction wise. Unless it is a nice coin and it is Buy it now priced reasonably or Make an offer. As a seller remember you have to subtract fees and that takes your actual sale of Morgans and pre 33 generic gold monies lower...

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't worry about shills! I just bid what I am willing to pay and if the winning bid is from what I think is a shill I get satisfaction they are having to pay higher final value fees or expose their practices more to the elephant in the room(ebay) when they cancel the sale.

@thebigeng said:
    The thing with Ebay that I don't like as a buyer is not knowing if I'm being shilled or not. So I don't play there anymore auction wise. Unless it is a nice coin and it is Buy it now priced reasonably or Make an offer. As a seller remember you have to subtract fees and that takes your actual sale of Morgans and pre 33 generic gold monies lower...

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

After receiving my issue, first obvious thing is certainly the size. Will take a little getting used to, since portability isn't quite what the previous version was.

BUT... the positive side is certainly what is contained in it. Very complete listing, and that is convenient. Overall, I like it; will just have to get more familiar with the pricing arrangement. Should work well for those with tables at shows, or a brick and mortar shop. A little more awkward for vest pocket dealers.

----- kj
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the traditional grey color of the greysheet is a thing of the past....

----- kj

@claychaser said:
    JohnF - a question. With the 11 x 11 format, can I still buy a download and print it to regular sized (i.e. 8.5 x 11) paper without the type being shrunk too small to easily read? I'm hoping that the info can be can spread over to 2 pages to keep it readable.

This is only limited by the software you use to print. i.e. Adobe or Preview (Mac), etc. I'm sure there's a lot of third party programs that add flexibility to printing PDF's.

John Feigenbaum
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

It served me well into the retirement years.

@johnf, send me a free copy!! It sounds great! :)

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Grey sheet is referenced at every show and a lot of dealers depend on it to quote coins not yet seen. The publication is not cheap but from what I know it is worth it. When dealing with a high volume of transactions it is nice to be able to look up on print rather then try to recall what the price should be. Seems to me this is one publication that is here to stay.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the all-in-one format. I also like the comprehensiveness of it. No more searching for the Quarterly II and finding it folded in half missing the pages you need.

It is no longer grey, so the Greysheet nickname will fade. Perhaps we should call it "The Rag."

Really great work by John and his team. Having the "ask" and "bid" in two different publications is a real improvement.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 8:23AM

John has done an excellent job with the CDN and I love the improvements / articles.

I use the online app (from my I phone)which gives me CPG, GS bid, BS bid. I also take the monthly paper copy subscr package. If bidding on the bay I can flip between the apps in my phone.

The CDN is my most important pricing tool. Bidding in a recent GC auction the other nite I simply used the CDN app in my phone for reference in setting bids. I still refer to CF, CW, NN too.

Yesterday I shipped 3 items retailed from my online store. Everybody has their opinion of the market. The important thing is getting a good markup over cost.

At a recent show I used the cdn phone app refer to in going thru a shop dealers commem inventory, bought a couple to flip in my store, one retailed not long after.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

John,
    After seeing this thread, I logged in to my account and downloaded the first all-in-one format issue and my first impressions are that I like the changes.
    I like the new layout and the order that items are listed.
    Keep up the good work.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

I miss under the previous owner the featured coin article the monthly summary had.

Date by date analysis of certain series or coin related topic all well wriiten by noted experts on the subject. Beter than now interview with Director of Mint etc.

Does anybody have the page where it shows what article is each month of the monthly supplement as it is on Newman Portal.

It was on page where you could order back issues
    or if somepace else would be fine.

Thank for any and all replies.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

Edit not working

scan of page would be appreciated

@giantsfan20 said:
    I miss under the previous owner the featured coin article the monthly summary had.

Date by date analysis of certain series or coin related topic all well wriiten by noted experts on the subject. Beter than now interview with Director of Mint etc.

Does anybody have the page where it shows what article is each month of the monthly supplement as it is on Newman Portal.

It was on page where you could order back issues
    or if somepace else would be fine.

Thank for any and all replies.

The historic Monthly Supplements can be found at:
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/525453

The historic Greysheets are located at:
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/523465

We will soon have these posted on the CDN site as well.

John Feigenbaum
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

I do like the new format. Having everything in one place and easy to navigate is a big improvement. Using the Greysheet is not so much for research but because you need a value right now. For this I think it is ideal and speed-wise is superior to other pricing methods.

The print size is also very nice.

The size, 11 by 11 inches, is going to take a little getting used to but overall I like it.

I do have one question. I also received a copy of the CPG Market Review, the CDN retail price guide in a separate shipment. Is this included with the Greysheet subscription or was this a one time bonus?

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I really like the new Greysheet. I downloaded it to my IPad last night. I like that everything is in one place. No more having to flip between supplements. My preferred way of viewing the Greysheet is with my IPad so the large format doesn't bother me. The layout seems pretty intuitive, but will still take a little time to get use to.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

@coinhack said:
    I do like the new format. Having everything in one place and easy to navigate is a big improvement. Using the Greysheet is not so much for research but because you need a value right now. For this I think it is ideal and speed-wise is superior to other pricing methods.

The print size is also very nice.

The size, 11 by 11 inches, is going to take a little getting used to but overall I like it.

I do have one question. I also received a copy of the CPG Market Review, the CDN retail price guide in a separate shipment. Is this included with the Greysheet subscription or was this a one time bonus?

We sent complimentary CPG guides to Greysheet subscribers for the first two issues. We may continue the practice to a sampling of non-subscribers for the next few issues, but the best way to ensure that you get a CPG is to subscribe for $29.99 per year. We also have a program in place to give $10 of each subscription to the numismatic non-profit of your choice. If you subscribe, you can suggest a local coin club, specialty club, ANA, etc. and we will send them a check for all the charity at the end of the year.

John Feigenbaum
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I like the new format. I can print a PDF for my office and a PDF for home. Plus I use the app for on the go.

@CyStater said:
    I like the new format. I can print a PDF for my office and a PDF for home. Plus I use the app for on the go.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

FYI, it's ok to print extra copies for yourself, but please don't share extra copies with friends or colleagues. They should buy their own subscription. Also, for those needing additional subscriptions on the same account, we just added a plan at half off for any additional subscriptions. Perfect for shops and companies with >1 coin trader.

John Feigenbaum
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 9:26AM

@JohnF
    I have a log-in problem. The office can likely fix it without you, but everyone should know. :'(

Otherwise, this....

@MrEureka said:
    I received mine today. I can't say it's as pretty as the previous format but it's far more convenient to use. I like the trade-off. If nothing else, you have to give them credit for the constant stream of improvements that have been made since the change in ownership. They're definitely not lazy and I'm sure they're not done.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnF..
    I just spoke to Krissy at the office and she fixed it. Windows10/Internet Explorer issue and one-step Google Chrome work-around. :)

FWIW, I make profits off your info that is orders of magnitude over its cost. B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to order the printed pack once or twice a year. Usually before an auction or a coin show.
    As a collector and wannabe occasional seller, I felt vulnerable if I didn't have one
    It was always hit or miss as to what supplement I'd get and usually it wasn't the one I needed.

I stayed away from CDN during the transition but have been following the progress.
    Initially I was under the impression that buying a single pack was not an option anymore.

After visiting the website, I see that buying a single issue is an option and am so happy to see that.
    I also watched the video and am convinced that tons of effort was put into the new monthly-all-inclusive publication.
    I hope to attend the ANA in Philly this year and will definitely be buying an issue or two before then.

-Mark

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Really like the all-in-one format. I have the on-line subscription only. Not being able to print a couple of sheets of the series' that I collect to take to shows may be a bit of a pain, and I fully understand why they did this, but I'll find a work-around . . .

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

I like the new format. It is a little ungainly, especially the pdf on my phone, but it is packed with all the information in a LOGICAL order. I like having the grey and blue prices right near each other.

The only thing I would have done differently is put all that modern bullion and roll stuff at the end rather than the beginning.

But, all in all, an A- effort!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file