Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I need help identifying this coin

I've had this for a couple of years, and occasionally do some searching to try and identify it. I have had no luck in doing so. Do any of you know what this is? it measures 21 mm at widest area, and is about 0.8 mm thick.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 9:08PM

Take a look at some of the later Byzantine pieces, like aspron trachy of Theodore I or stavraton of andronikus IV. Maybe the Manuel I Comnenus Ducas aspron. They aren't an exact match. But they might get you closer. Maybe a barbaric imitation of one? I could see tribes trying to imitate one of these (especially the Manuel I) and creating something like this. The imagery and symbolism (IC-XC = Jesus christ) is quite close but just a bit off.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/manuel_thessalonica/sb2174.jpg

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's actually Bulgarian. Tsar Ivan Alexander (1331-1371), silver grosi (groschen), Obverse is Christ before a throne, reverse is the Emperor (on the left) and his son Michael Asen on the right. This coin type dates from between the time he had named MIchael as his heir and successor in 1337 and the time Michael died in 1355. These "Ivan and Michael" grosi are by far the most commonly encountered mediaeval Bulgarian coins.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:
    It's actually Bulgarian. Tsar Ivan Alexander (1331-1371), silver grosi (groschen), Obverse is Christ before a throne, reverse is the Emperor (on the left) and his son Michael Asen on the right. This coin type dates from between the time he had named MIchael as his heir and successor in 1337 and the time Michael died in 1355. These "Ivan and Michael" grosi are by far the most commonly encountered mediaeval Bulgarian coins.

I was thinking along the same lines but wasn't knowledgeable enough about those coins to take a stab at proclaiming it Bulgarian.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    goldfixer21goldfixer21 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your help!!!