Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone here able to offer an expertish opinion on a dutch Daalder?

ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 12, 2018 7:46AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I have an interesting Daalder i rolled the dice on. The coin was sold to me as a PL coin. It is raw. I was skeptical of course but decided to take a gamble. The picture shows what looked like raised polish lines and I knew this would be the key point and that the pictures could lie. But with the coin in hand the lines are definitely raised and look like your typical die file lines in american coinage. But seeing as these coins were hammered in the 17th century, is it even possible that one of these could ever be PL? Here is the the picture of the lion side. The knight side is not like the lion side. The coin is defintely reflective on the lion side and I dont see any signs of a polish on the devices. The raised file lines are exclusive to the fields. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

No reason these couldn't come with PL fields. The extensive die polish lines are the reason it is PL. It was just a more rudimentary process than was used on say Morgan dollars, but the cause and effect are largely the same.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

@CIVITAS said:
    No reason these couldn't come with PL fields. The extensive die polish lines are the reason it is PL. It was just a more rudimentary process than was used on say Morgan dollars, but the cause and effect are largely the same.

Thanks Civitas, anything about this coin jump out? Have you seen any of these w PL fields before?

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Everything looks OK to me. I've seen them with PL surfaces before. They can have a nice "sparkle" to them when they are high grade and well struck. Yours looks quite nice. I would certainly buy as authentic, and at a premium.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

Great thanks for the help!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick-up !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2018 3:35PM

Thanks, feeling better about this purchase. I watched this coin for a long time and wanted to roll the dice on it. After I bought it I got tracking number that it was shipping from Poland. The listing originally stated New York New York. So I started to get nervous about it. I paid a pretty hefty premium for it. Was envisioning a cleaned coin with a hassle return situation back to Poland. At the same time I thought, OK if theres a PL Daalder, its probably sitting raw in europe somewhere. I am not seeing any signs of a polishing or cleaning of it in hand the the raised die files were a welcome sight. I appreciate the opinions to help confirm what I was gambling on.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks awesome! Are you going to slab it?

• Options

Yes in all liklihood I will be sending ats

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Hopefully they'll PL it.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2018 11:51AM

@asheland said:
    Nice! Hopefully they'll PL it.

I dont think either TPG does PL on these? I also dont think the knight side would go PL. The lion side is deep mirrors.