Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

That is simply fascinating. Belongs in a museum. I imagine it is difficult to estimate a lot of that nature. Image of solidus added for comparison.

• Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

Who knows for sure with stuff like this, right? It looks like what you'd expect a Byzantine die to look like. I wonder where it came from. The auction description says that there are two Byzantine dies known - the one in the article you mentioned, and this newly-discovered die:

_"Unpublished and unique, the second known Byzantine coin die and the first of a solidus. Somewhat corroded and rusty, otherwise, very fine.

The discovery of a new Byzantine coin die is, to say the least, very exciting. Throughout history, mints have carefully guarded their dies from being lost or stolen, for obvious reasons, which is why only very few ancient coin dies have escaped destruction and survived. While a reasonable number of Roman dies have emerged over the years, only a single Byzantine coin die had been known up until now - it was a die for a bronze follis of Justin I (518-527) from Nicomedia, offered for sale in Triton V, 16 January 2002, 2253 and in Classical Numismatic Group 105, 10 May 2017, 1029. Our example, an iron die for the reverse of a solidus of Basil I with Constantine, therefore is the second Byzantine coin die known - the first of a solidus - and as such of the highest numismatic interest and importance."_

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's exciting if it's real. You won't even link us to the auction or auction house.

• Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    It's exciting if it's real. You won't even link us to the auction or auction house.

the link is right above the picture in the first post

• Options
    edited April 10, 2018 11:53AM

First time around, I only got a blown-up photo. Perhaps I had a fat finger moment.

• Options

If it is genuine, the estimate is likely deceptively low. No worthwhile provenance information either.