Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Help a rookie out please....

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2018 7:47PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

What does it mean when there is a comment on the reverse of a graded PMG note that reads...Rust Lightened? Does this mean the note has been treated? There is no "Net Grade" just a straight numerical grade . Does this make the note undesirable ?
Thanks to all for any help, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump :)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    What does it mean when there is a comment on the reverse of a graded PMG note that reads...Rust Lightened? Does this mean the note has been treated? There is no "Net Grade" just a straight numerical grade . Does this make the note undesirable ?

It means that someone has tried to remove a rust stain...but it's still there. Unless it is a rarer note, I would avoid it.

Bison note. Is that rare!

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

There are 11 different Bison notes,8 of which also have stars.The rarity depends on which of these you are asking about.Generally,none of the 11are rare at all(except for their star versions) as their populations range from 147 to 3327.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2018 5:00PM

@crazyhounddog said:

"Net" grades are no longer given by PMG. Instead, if there is a problem (what used to be a "net" grade issue), there is a comment on the back.

PCGS Currency has also adopted this, getting rid of the "Apparent" grade, and listing the problems on the back. The main difference on a PCGS "comment" is the numerical grade on the front is in italics to clue you in that there are comments.

And, as numbersman pointed out, Bisons are very common (unless a star note), avoid any with a comment.

You guys have really helped me out and it is very much appreciated.
    Thanks a bunch, Joe

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2018 1:56PM

One other thought...some will suggest that staying away from a note because it has a net or apparent on the holder is the way to go.....that really depends on your personal goals.Just saying,if a great looking note right in the grade range I want has a small tear or a couple of pinholes that would not scare me away.As long as the deal is right and the damage is tolerable,buying a "problem" note often works well,especially if you're working within a tight budget.Food for thought.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

@numbersman said:
    One other thought...some will suggest that staying away from a note because it has a net or apparent on the holder is the way to go.....that really depends on your personal goals.Just saying,if a great looking note right in the grade range I want has a small tear or a couple of pinholes that would not scare me away.As long as the deal is right and the damage is tolerable,buying a "problem" note often works well,especially if you're working within a tight budget.Food for thought.

All it really is, is a note to top my buffalo nickel collection with. But at the same time one day it will need to be sold after I’m gone so that might create a problem. But I’ll be dead so maybe I won’t mind so much.
    Thanks again, Joe

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

While it does depend on your goals, even if you are just looking for a single example to compliment your Nickel collection, there are so many of these available, you can afford to be picky. A nice, problem free, natural note without unusual dirt, etc. for the grade is what you are looking for. An EPQ or PPQ (even in well circulated grades) , will tend to be a better looking note.

@gnat said:
    While it does depend on your goals, even if you are just looking for a single example to compliment your Nickel collection, there are so many of these available, you can afford to be picky. A nice, problem free, natural note without unusual dirt, etc. for the grade is what you are looking for. An EPQ or PPQ (even in well circulated grades) , will tend to be a better looking note.

Thanks again. You guys are very helpful.
    Happy hunting, Joe