Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just Came in (any help would be appreciated)

This just came in over the counter and is a little unusual. Have not spent to much time on research but I thought some one here might be able to help.

It weighs about 53 grams with the bezel,

Comments

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

A medal commemorating "THE GREAT BARREL" large wine barrel in Heidelburg castle. Probably a tourist attraction medal made for those touring the heidelburg Germany castle. front roman numeral is 1793. Reverse bottom description is the size of the barrel. Very interesting piece and a beautiful piece of Art.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Thank you, that is more information than I have been able to find.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few interesting facts about the Heidelberg Wein Barrel.
    It is located in the Heidelberg Castel. Every year approximately ½ million visitors “clime the barrel” via a set of stairs. And NO there is no wine in it any longer. And YES, you can touch it!

There were a total of 4 built over time.
    1 built in 1581 with a capacity of 127,000 liters = 33,554 US Gallons
    2 built in 1664 with a capacity of 195,000 liters = 51,520 US Gallons
    3 built in 1727 with a capacity of 202,000 liters = 53,370 US gallons
    4 built in 1751 with a capacity of 221,726 liters = 58,580 US Gallons

4 is the barrel existing today. Its volume has shrunk since it was built, down to 219,000 liters (USG 57,860) due to the wood shrinking.

It was being filled up from a floor above through a hole in the ceiling.
    History says that it actually has been filled to capacity only 4 times with wine.
    There was (still is) a direct wine-line from the barrel to the party-(grand ball) room next door where they had tabs set up.
    What a life!!! :):):)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

I was in the military in 1972 and stationed in Stuttgart Germany. The Stuttgart Strutters Square dance club had 2 squares, 4 couples to a square plus the caller and we danced on top of that Barrel once upon a time long ago. We had lunch in the Grand Ballroom and sampled the wine. And you're right YQQ it was and is a great life.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• numismagramnumismagram Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

A different and much older medal, I remember doing this write-up at CNG a number of years ago:

https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=191590

Definitely an interesting topic!

Jeremy Bostwick

For exceptional works of medallic art, check out our current inventory at Numismagram!

Email "Schmid@heidelburg-marketing.de" Steffen Schmid Dir. of Marketing Heidelburg Schloss ( Castle). Probably could give you all the information or direct you to someone who can.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great information !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • That all was a lot more information than I thought. I am kinda excited to search this one down and see what becomes of it. Once again thank you to all.

Do me a favor OpenMarket, post your findings so we know the results. I am interested to learn about that medal.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018 5:13AM

I too have been to Heidelberg and seen Das Großes Fass, I took home a nice beer stein with the figure of Perkeo on it, Perkeo is Heidelberg's god of wine and drunkenness, sort of like Dionysius but more local. He is guardian of the Heidelberg Tun as it is known in English.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a tourist item of very recent vintage.

All glory is fleeting.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard on a Heidelburg Castle tour that taxes were often paid in wine.
    That wine barrel is huge as you can see from @YQQ 's post

It was cool to see the building is decorated with depictions of ancient coins.

I never did find out which of these rulers, if any, was responsible for the numismatic architectural design elements.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

these are medals issued in memory of the destruction of the City of Heidelberg and damage done during different wars to the province of Baden and sorrounding areas. these have nothing to do with the barrel.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2018 8:15AM

@YQQ said:
    these are medals issued in memory of the destruction of the City of Heidelberg and damage done during different wars to the province of Baden and sorrounding areas. these have nothing to do with the barrel.

I'd like to know who commissioned the coin friezes.

The barrel is cool.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 6, 2018 10:53PM

Yep, a tourist reproduction of the 1716 medal linked by @numismagram .
    Obverse:
    Das gros Fas zu Heidelberg = The big barrel of Heidelberg
    Helt 204 fuder 3 ohm 4 vi[e]rtel = Holds 204 cartloads, 2 ahme 4 quarters (of wine)
    Hoc[h] 21 Lang 30 = high 21 long 30 = 21 feet high (diameter), 30 feet long?
    Werksch[a]u Ao 1664 = Retrospective (built) in year 1664
    Reverse:
    Oriente Calescimus Illo MDCCXVIII = East Afire 1718 (maybe a reference to the tourist show commemorating the Heidelberg castle's destruction, although that was not in 1718)

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:23AM

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2018 9:13AM

Disregard my post.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.