Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

question on scan/pics of notes

So a few years back, I think I posted pictures of some notes that I purchased from a local guy here as part of a larger coin purchase. I put the notes in heavey plastic holders (snap type) and put them in the SDB.

I was thinking of going to get them so I could either take better pictures or put them on the scanner if that is what is recommended to get a better image to estimate grade and to decide if any of them are worth having graded.

Do I have to take them out of those holders to scan them good enough? I really hate to do it because I was nervous I would damage them putting them in....

Here are the pics again from years ago just using a point and shoot...just as an FYI. The color is off on all of these due to my superb photo skills

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

The paper on these isn't fragile and can be easily handled without causing harm. They are made from linen, not wood pulp and usually won't become brittle. Just use clean hands and make sure not to add any new creases.

They look like decent grade notes but, yes, better images will get you a better price. The all look VF ish or so, the $1 red seal with some stains, otherwise nice. I'd guess about $500 for the group, give or take a hundred or two. The 1896 and 1899 might be worth certifying. Others could probably offer better advice on this.

Place the note directly on a flatbed scanner for best image and save as a .jpg. Never use a scanner where the note has to be fed in.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the response. When I get them out of the SDB, I'll scan them on the printer here and post new images.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

Indeed,better pics with great lighting is in order.Remove them from any holder when taking the pics.I prefer a digital pic(using a digital camera,not a phone) vs a scan to help in determining grade as scans often hide what a digital pic makes obvious.Grading may or may not be for you based on each note and your goals.As to a value in today's marketplace....a best guess basing all grades as VF and no major surprises...the $500 wholesale holds up in my book but if you take your chances in the retail market you may get a bit more.Keep in mind,grading cost money so you may want to do the math if your intent is to sell.Also,if asking for help with grading,be sure to take a pic lit,like this one(both before and after).Use a strong flashlight in a dark room and shine the light low and horizontally across the back of the note-pretty much lay the light down next to the note-the results are dramatic and can reveal a multitude of sins.Hope I was helpful.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency

Thank you that is very helpful. Once I have them it won't be a big deal to put them on the scanner and also take some pictures with a point and shoot digital.

As for my intent - honestly they will probably go back in the SDB - but I wasn't sure if they were worth having graded either to protect them or just if I decide to sell them sometime in the future.

I know I'll be making a trip so I figured I could grab them and get good pictures/scans.

I almost feel dumb just asking the question but are those 2 pictures of the same note? Seems impossible

That's funny because I thought someone would ask...yes,same exact note.Here's another example....

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3

So i'll be the one asking the dumb questions but how is that possible? Have the notes been pressed/conserved or something to hide all of those issues or can you see all of those issues in hand but just not in the photos?

Thats crazy and now I'll definitely be doing that when I get these things back home

edited March 23, 2018 3:56PM

No,no,they are the exact same notes in the exact same condition-the pics taken at the exact same time.It's not magic or trickery I assure you.Bright light cast in the correct direction can show relief.Pics and scans are 2 dimensional...the light adds the 3rd dimension,depth.In fact,if the note was pressed the light would show that as well.....all U.S. paper money has some natural relief and very often embossing for the seals and serial numbers.This light technique will show if the note is unnaturally flat or even if it has been re-embossed along with a host of other things.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job, Rob. I suppose I could write at length on the difference of how things may appear and the actual reality, which can be sobering to say the least. I was at a show this weekend and looked through some currency that was being touted by a couple dealers and frankly I didn't want to take the chance with raw material, and probably shouldn't as that leads to painful communication when the raw notes come back graded significantly below what they were sold as.