Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Removed

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2019 11:30PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

DeVreese was a prolific Belgian medallist prior to the Second World War. This appears to be a silvered bronze medal commemorating American philanthropy for rebuilding Belgium after the First World War (the German occupation was brutal). I would not put too much of a value on it; under $50, if that much. However, there may be someone out there with more expertise.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal. I have had one in the past - it came with some Hoover related items from Iowa. They originally came in a nifty circular cardboard box.

This link has some useful information, including the larger size, which I didn't know about: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=126347

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    Nice medal. I have had one in the past - it came with some Hoover related items from Iowa. They originally came in a nifty circular cardboard box.

This link has some useful information, including the larger size, which I didn't know about: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=126347

Interesting that hashara says something about the Belgium medal being related to American philanthropy and that Mr. Hoover first came to wide notice in public service by directing American aid in Europe following the First World War. Perhaps the old time Iowa collector understood the possible connection between the medal and Hoover (and of course, Hoover was from Iowa too).

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

That is a Belgium relief medal silver plate over brass. It was sold to pay for feeding a child for a month during WW 1. Belgium was occupied by Germany at the time so the disposition of these medals was interrupted. Don't know how many were minted but is not valuable I would say $10.00 to $20.00.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 11:30PM