Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How can you tell the difference . . .

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

between a Canadian 1965 PL65 and 1965 MS65 dollar?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

To my eye the MS coin has a slight orange peel look to the surface while the PL coin will have what appears to be a thin layer of glass. Toning makes this difference much harder to see.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fe of us have done test on 8 different CAN dollars at random.
    each hd 8 dollars new, and not so old.

opinions went all ove the map an with the main question asked: how do you tell the difference? I have several dollars 65s and others which are ever so shiny and some were struck when there was NO PL designation "available to be used". It was suggested they had been dipped to make them appear to be WHITE.
    all test dollare will go to ICCS within a month or so together with many others. we shall then see how the experts rule.
    personally i feel back in the 50ties and 60's , ther was not a lot, if any attention placed on MS or PL condition,
    IMO, they were polishing a bit more on the dies and when it wore off PL's became MS ? B)
    today it is nothing but a different surface treatment and a different collectors cost and huge money made by the mints.
    However, I might be totally out to lunch with the above... :/

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1965 PL65 Dollar sells for about $25, a MS65 sells for around $250

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

The short answer is: MS will have cartwheel lustre, PL will have more reflective fields.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    A 1965 PL65 Dollar sells for about $25, a MS65 sells for around $250

if you are a european dealer, it is the other way around, they call PL coins PP or whatever high end name comes to mind. Just go through MA shop and you will find a few.they usually also have rare attached to the description.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life