Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

After Tampa - are Small Size prices declining?

Was it just a weak auction with wrong bidders, the time of year, too much inventory or something else that made Small Size currency values look soft?

Comments

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Can't speak precisely for the FUN auction. But I can speak for my online buying/selling. Heavy inventory does tend to drive it down as I've seen. Also, as anything now days goes, if the trend swings it's quick. I have actually seen prices tick up since last fall. Nothing too dramatic but I would say 15-20% increase. I'm a small fry as it goes for a re-seller. But when I see my buy to sell price margins reduce and yet keep a favorable upper price I think it's fairly solid. It's when I get in low and either sell high or barely make a margin that makes me nervous.
    Just my 2¢ worth, thank you :)

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

A lot of small size notes seemed soft, with the notable exceptions of notes that were on my list. Perhaps with readily available items, there may be too much inventory compared to buyers. However, it is difficult to explain how some very nice and scarcer notes perhaps only received one or two bids (or sold for the reserve after the sale).

• Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

@gnat said:
    A lot of small size notes seemed soft, with the notable exceptions of notes that were on my list.

This comment is evergreen...

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Really cheap at LBC now, found this 1934-B $5 SC bp 637 for a good price

• Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Good score. Nice to meet you.

• Options

@synchr said:
    Really cheap at LBC now, found this 1934-B $5 SC bp 637 for a good price

Good pick. Funny because Corey went and found one too for cheap right after you did. How did Tookybandit and I both miss them?

• Options

Prices on many small size have absolutely declined. We noticed the trend starting about 12-18 months ago. This is especially evident in the more common pack hoard stuff in the lower CU (63-65) grades. We can no longer move the stuff without taking a loss. Obviously not enough new blood coming into paper collecting to absorb the glut on the market.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2018 9:58AM

Good pick. Funny because Corey went and found one too for cheap right after you did. How did Tookybandit and I both miss them?

Your standards are far higher than mine!
    :)
    I found a few that were labelled incorrectly, that means you have to look at everything which takes time

@gnat said:
    Good score. Nice to meet you.

Great fun to meet you. How embarassing to ask Larry out loud "Who is Gnat"? and have him respond "the guy standing next to you"
    LOL

• Options

Yeah what are the odds of Randy being there right when you asked?

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Haha!!