Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Removed

GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2019 11:26PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project! About how many coins would make up a complete collection?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Your photography looks very nice and sharp. If you don't mind a suggestion, I would crop the coins down in size a bit to eliminate the dead space in the background.

Best of luck with the new set. I like the quality you have selected for the inaugural pieces.

• PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

A neat project to be sure. The items you've posted so far are a wonderful demonstration of the varied and beautiful designs to be found among world coins just in the past 100 years or so. Looking forward seeing what else you discover. :)

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice project. And I have always liked that 1966 Australia 50c.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Great project! About how many coins would make up a complete collection?

Exactly which countries to include in an OFEC collection is entirely up to the collector. The CIA Factbook list of countries, or the UN membership list, or the Wikipedia list of countries, are all common lists to work off if one wishes to restrict the collection to countries which currently exist. The Krause catalogue index is also useful if one wishes to include former countries.

Of course, if one has no "start date" and a liberal definition of what a "country" is, then there are tens of thousands of countries to include. Each ancient Greek city-state could be counted as a "separate country", for example - they certainly thought of themselves that way.

Does a country changing its name class as a "separate country"? Even if there is no political or social change in the country, other than the change in name (such as what happened in British Honduras when it suddenly changed its name to Belize in 1973)?

Then there are radical changes to the political landscape, even when the name stays the same. Do the German Empire, Weimar Republic, Third Reich, East Germany, West Germany and Reunified Germany count as separate countries?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 11:27PM

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the OFEC...it can be very flexible as to how to define it. @Sapyx I NEVER would have thought of using the CIA list. That would be a cool spin on the effort.

My original effort was to use the 20th Century Krause as I wasn't too sure how I wanted to deal with the German States, Indian Princely states at first (not that I limited the COINS to the 20th century, merely the generation of the country list).

Just beware, sometimes it's hard to stop at just ONE from every country...

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

A birth year set would be cool.. maybe I shall start one

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I've found doing the OFEC project to be incredibly enjoyable. It kind of grew naturally for me. I started by buying pounds of world coins and just listed what I was getting. Eventually, after about 8 pounds worth, I had pretty much all of Europe, Asia and South America covered. (None are 100%, even of current countries) Africa has proven tougher but I'm getting there. I like doing it that way but the coins you get are not always in great shape. And they are rarely from before WWII. But I like doing it that way because it's exciting to me to not know what I'm going to find. In some cases I've gotten coins that way that were from defunct or oddball places that I would not have even known existed if I did not find them in the bag. I generally don't like buying single coins but I do that for older stuff. I define older as pre WWII, by the way.

I'm casting a wide net, as wide as possible. For me, the name matters. Czechoslovakia, Czech-Slovak Federal Republic, Czech Republic all count as separate entries in the collection. Germany appears three times with a bit of an asterisk - Germany, German Democratic Republic, and German States. I know technically they were all unique places but most of the states are out of my price range, or I just don't know where to find them, so I'm counting German States as one..but I include each of the states in my photo album as I get them. Think I'm up to four now. Indian Princely states would be the same way but I only have one of them.

I have swapped out coins when I've gotten a more interesting one. The collection is documented only in photos (well, mostly scans, as I want it to be uniform) so that's pretty easy to do. I have not worked on it in a while but I am getting back into the hobby..might be time to order another pound.

Since I mostly have circulated coins in my collection and use scans I never really posted about it much on here, I didn't think anyone would be interested. Just writing this post about it...the first time I've written about it in over a year...(I had been writing about them on my coin blog, but stopped a while ago)...has gotten me energized and excited about my collection again so I may do something about that soon. Now I'm going to go look at my album and see coin scans I have not looked at in a while.

The design on the Chilean one is nice, but the Tongan issue is great too. I don't remember seeing that turtle design before, but I like it. I don't think I have Tonga in my collection at all, but it's been so long I don't remember for sure.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

edited August 22, 2019 11:28PM

edited August 22, 2019 11:28PM

Hey, I remember that! Just didn't put 2+2 together last night. Wish that the show had kept on going.

Best find...hmm, tough one. Possibly a French piece from the 1860s, but rough. I think my favorite may be a Spanish issue of the 1940s. Just a great design. Not rare, but nice looking. I'll see if not scan is any good in a few moments.

edited February 20, 2018 9:12PM

Here's the Spanish coin I mentioned. I don't know why this one just "speaks to me". I'm not a particular Spanish diehard collector, it is just one of many countries that make up my collection, but the first time I saw this design, I loved it, and I still do.

It looks great to me in lower grade, too. I actually got this one first and then got the better condition 1945 later. I also have a really beat 1941 and a 1953 in my collection. The scan is so much smaller because it was made by my first scanner. The above scan was from my second scanner, and my third scanner is even better still- I'm debating rescanning my collection, actually.

I think this French piece is the oldest I've gotten but it's from 1893, not the 1860s. I hadn't looked at my scan of it in years. As you can see it's not great, and that's not even counting the limitations of the scanned aspect.

If you do decide to go with world coinage by the pound, I've had success with Black Mountain Coins and Littleton. Littleton actually has some uncirculated in the mix, but not anything rare, mostly 1990s material. (I was still glad to get it) I also once purchased a 5 pound lot on Ebay from some seller I never heard of and couldn't ID now, not a "name" that's recognized in the hobby. But I was happy with it, the coins were excessively dirty though. I don't know any other sellers who sell by the pound. You just have to know going in that most are going to be well circulated and newish. For me, that's not a problem, but if you're only looking for mint state, or close to it, you will probably be disappointed. I want quantity, not "quality", but to me quantity IS quality, lol.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

I, too, caught the "One-per-Country" bug about a decade or so ago. It then morphed/exploded into a "1-per-denomination-per-phase/iteration-per-country" collection, comprised of over 400 unique examples (when I last counted back in 2009). And this doesn't include any "states/provinces" of countries such as Mexico, Germany, China, etc., which I never expanded into. Now I have binders full of sheets of 2x2's brimming with them.....

For example, here's how I broke down Egypt:
    EGYPT:
    -- BRITISH: (1882-1922)
    -- KINGDOM: (Fuadi: 1922-1936 & Farouk: 1936-1952)
    -- REPUBLIC: (1952-1958)
    -- UAR (w/SYRIA/YEMEN): (1958-1961)
    -- UAR (just EGYPT): (1961-1971)
    -- ARAB REPUBLIC: (1971+)

I later added all the iterations of Euro coins for the first 3 years they were minted.

While I'm sure there have been new categories created in the years since (thru countries splitting, re-monetizing, etc), by the time I slowed down & took a break, I was left looking for just the following dozen or so "countries/phases"....... but haven't actively gone searching for any of them since:

AFGHANISTAN -- ISLAMIC REP: (1992+= SH1371+)
    CAMEROON (Republic 1960+) (state: KM#13+)
    CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
    CRETE
    GUADELOUPE
    GUINEA-BISSAU (1977+)
    INDONESIA (Riau Archipelago)
    KEELING-COCOS ISLANDS
    LUNDY
    NEW GUINEA
    PHILLIPINES: SPANISH: (pre-1898)
    ANTIGUA/BARBADOS/DOMINICA/GRENADA/ MONTSERRAT/ ST. KITTS&NEVIS / ST LUCIA / ST VINCENT (FAO $4 1970)
    VIETNAM: NORTH: (1958 KM#5/6/7 1/2/5XU )

Was definitely fun for a while!! I guess I should go look at the link provided above to see what I missed & update my list/collection, now that it's been almost 10 years.................

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Hey GotTheBug:
    Those are some very good coins you have posted. Are you shooting for modern or high quality or just looking for the best available at an easy price. Have you compiled a list yet, if so post a copy, there might be a few countries I can help you with. I don't collect anything but U.S. but I bought a big lot a few weeks ago to help a friend in Vermont , and I have a bunch of countries. I also have a select few very early coins but they are well circulated. We have a mutual friend in Billy Kingsley although we haven't met yet. And I was surprised to see his post here but he also has several very nice coins posted. Good luck with your search. Sounds like an interesting and fun adventure.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

edited August 22, 2019 11:29PM

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

great idea... I would have to assemble 62. some countries have now different names and some have been "swollowed" up and with some names one has a hard time even pronounce them properly.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Maybe if there's enough interest & one-per-country collectors, we could establish & maintain a master "haves/needs" list anchored to the top of this category, to facilitate swapping? I'm game!

• bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I'm up for it I only collect U.S. so have a lot of world to throw in the pot.
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

Looks like the last time I actively collected for my OPC collection was back in 2009!! My, how time flies! :o I wonder how many countries have sprung up or disappeared in the 9 years since?........

As of that time, my "haves" count stood at 405, while my "needs" count was either 18 (as I saw things) or as many as 46 (if I included countries on another Forum member's list that I didn't have). I guess my first step back into the sub-hobby will be to confirm all my lists, before I start searching again.

If anyone's interested in sharing lists, feel free to PM me with an e-mail address to pass lists to.

Then maybe we can start a separate "swap" post/thread. :)

edited August 22, 2019 11:29PM

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

I have dabbled with this collection. I don't stop with 1 from a country if I find something cool, i just buy it. haven't spent to much money on any of the coins so not really a problem.

Simple, cheap as you want it to be and alot of fun. The entire point of a hobby.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves