That is one great looking 4

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that is a 4, then it is a 4.5.

Great cards!!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great looking MICKS!

Love the lower graded MICKS with nice centering. That '57 "8" is amazing.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Wowza!!!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2018 10:12AM

Geez Matt!

Definitely worthy of anyone's collection - I know it would the centerpiece of mine.

Congratulations buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Posts like this make me want to downsize my collection for a few monsters.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registration is beautiful on all three!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 51 Bowman looks right at home with the other two. Well done Matty!!!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx! Going to knock back some sake at dinner to celebrate the 51 ;)

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2018 6:32AM

You deserve the sake - congrats on the sweet pickup!

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

BEAUTIFUL!

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Well done. We speak the same language, as I will wait it out until that 55/45 or better specimen is for sale. Great cards.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2018 9:07AM

Nevermind— this 51B card is actually not mine now; the seller just canceled my order, which is hands down the shadiest thing that has happened to me in this hobby. Will be pursuing this matter very seriously, on sheer principle.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

If that is the one, that is a big time dealer. What was the reason? That pretty much is wrong.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2018 9:57AM

Agreed. Let's just say in this extended brotherhood of hobbyists/collectors, we all know when this happens, what really transpired— though he did offer a meager excuse. Bottom line: not worth selling one's reputation for a few dollars.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What was the excuse?

Did the seller forget that he had already sold this $10k card? That sort of thing happens to me all. the. time.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Nevermind— this 51B card is actually not mine now; the seller just canceled my order, which is hands down the shadiest thing that has happened to me in this hobby. Will be pursuing this matter very seriously, on sheer principle.

Sorry to say, but other than leaving the creep a big fat neg on Ebay, there isn't much that you can do to "win" this thing.

If that is the seller and the 10k card, Michigan has a $5,500 small claims court limit. I have filed lawsuits in small claims court a number of times, and have been generally successful at it, and didn't need an attorney.

But because this is over $5,500 you're going to have to file this claim in the Michigan general court system, whatever it's called. You could technically do it yourself, but generally you need a lawyer to do it. And the lawyer is going to likely ask for a 1k retainer, and that cost will likely escalate in no time at all past the 1k. Lawyers are well skilled at milking money out of their clients.

So you're going to spend at least 1k, and very likely a lot more, that is if you win the case, Then you're going to have to pay for the card but the seller could still say he lost the card or whatever, then there would be more litigation involved, and thousands more in legal fees.

For around $100, you could bluff at it, have an attorney send him a nasty letter stating that you are going to go after him in court. sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't.

I could go on and on with more costly legal scenarios, suffice to say that in my opinion you're better off just letting it go...but it's your call - Good luck!

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Well, that's not cool!

• Options

Thanks. Luckily I have the resources, and the principle matters to me.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Blocked... ridiculous

• Options

This was definitely a good looking 4 - well centered.

Not sure I understand.

What did the seller "actually" say in the message?

I've bought cards from Cooperstown without any problems.

Mike
  • Options

Terrible business move on their part. Hope you get the card to add to your impressive collection. Always enjoy seeing your cards/posts. Good luck.

• Options
    edited February 18, 2018 11:37AM

Thanks, sinoth :smile:

Mike,

To clarify, the seller’s empty and flimsy excuse is moot; he claimed his partner sold it a full day prior to it being listed— which is a laughable insult to any customer’s intelligence.

I suppose it is safe to buy from this seller, as long as they can’t make more money selling the card elsewhere after they receive and hold your money for a little while, LOL.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Awful. You were obviously thrilled with the card, paid a handsome amount for it, and then it got ripped away from you. The only thing I can think is that someone offered the seller substantially more after the auction. Maybe a card doctor who thinks he can bump it to a 5 or 6. I hate that things like this happen in our hobby.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2018 11:47AM

What a douche. I'm sorry that happened to you. I think we'll all be tracking to see if it's resold by him.

• Options

This Happened to me with dean's cards. He had sold me a card via buy it now for 2k, he cancelled and relisted and it sold auction style for 11k. There's some damages! My guess would be he either produces the card, or would have pay damages, which might be tough to prove a number.

This particular seller ended an item early I was Interested in, and I paid his price off ebay. Another copy sold a few Months later and he sent me a snide comment when the auction ended to the effect of "you did ok on that one". It clearly wasn't the same card.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but after I've paid, I've had some sellers cancel. I believe they saw my name, and felt I'd pay more for the card, or then realized it could be a rare variation or error card they had missed.

Also, after sharing a recent "purchase", I discovered the one person I shared it with, had contacted the seller and offered more money for it. I was completely flabbergasted, and was absolutely livid for a long time.

I'd love to know what happens with this. My guess is he wants to do it off ebay.

Sorry this happened, and it is extremely frustrating and very unprofessional. Sadly, it seems like the nicer and tougher the cards, the more shadiness we run into.

• Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

You still have two beautiful Mantle's to be happy with, even though there is a bad taste in your mouth right now. Go enjoy those beautiful Mantle's that you have. I believe there will be an even better 51 in your future if you just hang in there.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I had a few emails last week with the seller in question about purchasing quite a few of his football and hockey cards off of eBay. After reading this I’ll move on and find those cards someday from a more reputable dealer.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2018 4:41PM

I hate dealers who do this to a customer.

The same thing happened to me several years ago. I had bought a PSA 10 1985 Topps Dan Fouts card back when it was only a pop-2. It was the last one I needed to have all Fouts Topps cards in PSA 10. Anyway, the seller came back after I had paid, saying that he had either lost or previously sold the card, and gave me my money back. Believe me, I was PO'd. Dan Fouts is my favorite athlete of all time, and this was the only one of his cards I did not have in PSA 10!

Anyway, it took 2-3 years, but I finally picked up a PSA 10 1985 Topps Fouts, with better eye-appeal, for quite a bit less than I had paid the reneger. I think at that time, it was a pop-5 or pop-6.

I have to believe, as Exodus said above, that an even better 1951 Bowman Mantle is out there, and your name will be on it.

Steve

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

There is a pretty nicely-centered PSA 4 '51 Mantle for sale in the B/S/T section.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I think it definitely is sucky, but I hope you don't throw too much good money at this problem that could be utilized for other gems. Wishing you luck. :smile:

• Options

When I saw who the seller was... I'm not surprised at all. Sorry this happened and I hope you follow through with whatever avenues that you have available.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't familiar with this seller but I appreciate the info. I won't buy from them knowing they pull this malarkey.

Sorry this happened to you. I hope you stick it to them good.

Arthur

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

Sorry this happened to one of our good guys. I always perk up when I see a new post from you, and click on it right away.

• Options

Not sure of the details on this one?

Que paso?

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Done! Some things are worth the fight and this is one of the them. Congrats.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Can you provide details on how you managed to resolve this? The seller claimed it was already sold... then what?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heckuva nice 4.

From the scan, seems around one grade too low, unless there is a tiny wrinkle or something not visible on the scan?

Wouldn't mind seeing a scan of the back if you wish to do that.

Congrats - glad it worked out for ya!

• Options

Congrats on the the positive outcome.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Do tell, thought it was sold to the surprise of the guy you were dealing with. Hate when I have mix ups on five figure cards

• Options

@MrHockey said:
    Can you provide details on how you managed to resolve this? The seller claimed it was already sold... then what?

It was a bit of an odyssey. After the cancelation and reason given, I expressed my determination and ability to pursue the legal avenue, which I wound up having to do. Things then began to shift, the end result being the desired outcome.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 8:52PM

@DM23HOF said:

@MrHockey said:

It was a bit of an odyssey. After the cancelation and reason given, I expressed my determination and ability to pursue the legal avenue, which I wound up having to do. Things then began to shift, the end result being the desired outcome.

Translation: Matty knew a guy who knew a guy whose cousin was from the old neighborhood.. :p

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2018 8:59PM

Translation: Matty knew a guy who knew a guy whose cousin was from the old neighborhood.. :p

That was funny, Grote! I have certainly met some colorful characters in work, from the real-life gangsters portrayed in the first film I did to undercover cops and FBI agents to the special forces guys who are consulting me on a couple action films at the moment. Though a couple collected cards as kids, they thankfully haven't been needed in any recent card related matters, :p !

• Options
    edited February 22, 2018 10:12AM

@DM23HOF said:

@MrHockey said:

Good for you Matt.

Glad that worked out.

Not sure how I aught to feel about the vendor? As I said, never had a problem with them.

Then again, I was probably buying a 75 buck card or something.

Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was definitely a card worth fighting for, Matty. A beauty.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2018 9:18PM

Wanna say thanks very much for the kind words regarding the situation/card. The wife and friends were just like, "Oh, well." I was like, "This is a centered 51 Mick we're talkin' about here!" LOL. Few places we card collectors can go to be fully understood in such a situation ;)