Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Grade my currency?

Hey guys I pulled out some of my old currency today after my friend told me that while at the Longbeach show I could have some currency graded pretty cheaply if I wanted to. So I was wondering what some of these might grade PMG?
1929 Brown Seal $100 found at a bank!

1950 star note $20 also found at a bank!

North Africa $10

Hawaii $1

Comments

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Grade these for fun if you want to, but the value of the individual notes is too low to justify grading in my opinion.

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

@Tookybandit said:
    Grade these for fun if you want to, but the value of the individual notes is too low to justify grading in my opinion.

+1

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't waste your money having these notes graded.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

VF (Very Fine) to F (Fine) for all, don't be too enamored with plastic grading holders as they don't add value to currency.
    That being said, you have a great start at a collection and the beginning of a lot of fun!

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I knew none were worth grading but i may just have the $100 one graded as it was the start of my collection. It was the one that got me hooked.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just get some note plastic and store it. Nice start to your collection

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I agree that it would not add any value to these notes to have them graded - particularly at a show where you pay a fair amount of $$ for the quick turn-around time.

If you do want to have them (or other) notes graded, it would make more sense to pay for a "Club Membership" and use the certificate for free submissions you get.

For some notes, having them graded will add value (particularly CU and other high grade notes) and make them easier to sell.

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 7:18PM

I have them all in mylar sleeves. I understand grading gives no added value but its the presentation that im after, especially atleast for my first note thst got me hooked.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2018 10:28PM

Nice collection. Like others have said, its not financially feasible to have them graded. Just keep them as is !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with others... F-VF for all. Nice start to a collection... agree that economically it does not make sense to get them professionally graded, but there are other reasons than economics, as you've mentioned.

If you want the basic grading standards for notes, check out the: PCGS Currency Grading Scale

Have fun with your new collection and good luck!

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

@Spartcom5 said:
    I have them all in mylar sleeves. I understand grading gives no added value but its the presentation that im after, especially atleast for my first note thst got me hooked.

Sentimental value is important and suggest you do what you enjoy !

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Whatever note has some sentimental nature in some way to you- get it graded. Half of these comments would turn away any new collector! You asked simple questions and you were hit with negativity.

Tough CA Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

By all means, have any note that you enjoy to be graded! I gather that you already understand that $$ value will not be increased...you got the $100 for face value and the additional $$ to have it graded won't hurt your pocket. If you are a member of the ANA...you automatically can send the note(s) to be graded without becoming a member specifically to PMG....only pay postage and the grading fee. I collect fractional currency and still have the note that got me started....most of my collection is now graded...but not that original note...now I have a nice idea...thanks!