Home Sports Talk

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Washington finally gets a good quarterback and they let him get away, and then they trade for a 33 year old quarterback instead.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cousins ends up either in Denver or Jacksonville

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it begins.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

So we get to start the Mahomes experiment. I am hoping for the best although I might have played Alex Smith one more year. Andy Reid just couldn't keep the Corvette on ice one more year. Be ready for some fireworks - hope most of them are for my team and not the Broncos Raiders or Chargers.
    If Broncos get Cousins, there are going to be four good and/or talented quarterbacks in the division.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be time for a change at the head coaching position, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I think Cousins ends up either in Denver or Jacksonville

my guess is Cleveland, which would allow the Browns to get some pretty good "supporting cast" members with the 1 and 4 picks.

• Options

I guess we'll find out which he values more,money by going to the Browns/Jets or winning by going to Denver,Jacksonville or even Arizona. I'd love to see him go to the Browns if it happens.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Washington gives up on Fuller who is a potential rising star and a 3rd round pick for a QB who is worse than Cousins? Seems to me they could have saved themselves a lot of money and aggravation had they just paid Cousins what he wanted rather than wasting all that money on franchise tags the past 2 seasons.

• Options

Cousins is gonna make out like a bandit with all the guaranteed money he just made plus all the guaranteed money he's about to get. He's expected to probably get the richest contract in NFL history this offseason.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trading Fuller was the only terrible part of this deal for Washington. They get a good qb in return for less money, who is actually very comparable to cousins and moves around better outside the pocket. So they’ll save some money at the position and hopefully use it on upgrading the defense. They give up a 3rd rounder but they’ll get one right back in 2019 after cousins signs. So to me, a redskins fan, losing fuller is the only tough part to swallow in this trade. I will be completely fine with it if they use the money to upgrade other positions of need.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC made out like a bandit in this trade

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

m

Agree 100%. Makes you scratch your head that Smith went for more in return than Garoppolo. Oh wait, in Bill we trust.

• Options
    edited January 31, 2018 6:46PM

I think the Patroits traded Garoppolo to a team that was going to be able to resign him out of the AFC and especially out of their division. The last they need is for Jimmy to end up on the Jets or Bills and have to face him twice a year for the forseeable future.

The way the Patroits draft----a second round pick is like a first round pick anyways. Plus you pay that pick pennies on the dollar compared to a top 5 pick. They have been picking towards the end of the first round or without a number one for years now. Hasn't hurt them in the least

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2018 6:46PM

@Justacommeman said:
    I think the Patroits traded Garoppolo to a team that was going to be able to resign him out of the AFC and especially out of their division. The last they need is for Jimmy to end up on the Jets or Bills and have to face him twice a year for the forseeable future.

The way the Patroits draft a second wound pick is like a first round pick anyways. They have been picking towards the end of the first round or without a number one for years now. Hasn't hurt them in the least

mark

Knowing Bill,that 2nd could turn into a late 2nd + a 3rd or 4th,then get traded back again. Bill could end up turning that one 2nd into 4-5 mid round picks. He's done stuff like this many times.

• Options

Regardless of the numbers involving the Jimmy G and Alex Smith train robberies there are always going to be head scratchers from our perspectives but at the end of the day there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we don’t know about. Although I build some damn successful franchises in Madden Franchise mode :p

• Options

If Brady can perform at a high level for so long, then certainly Alex Smith could have
    five more good years left. Don't see why its such a lopsided trade. And yes, I know, Smith
    is no Brady.

Seems as though Mahomes rookie cards have gone up since this deal was announced.
    I only have 3 bought pre trade, hoping to accumulate many more before next season starts.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2018 8:22PM

@Time4aGansett said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Agree 100%. Makes you scratch your head that Smith went for more in return than Garoppolo. Oh wait, in Bill we trust.

Really? Weird that a QB who lead the NFL in passer rating this year would bring more in return than
    an unproven QB?
    You live in an alternate universe.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't count Alex Smith out , he has been suffering under substandard coaches his whole career

• Options

I think Cousins ends up either in Denve

• Options
    edited February 3, 2018 8:11AM

The upside of Garoppollo is light years beyond Smiths. Jimmy G seems to have the it factor plus playing under Brady and Belichick didn’t hurt but I think he’s always had it. If you were going to pay someone 20 million a season I think most GM’s pick JG over AS. Smith seems to be an older version of Kirk Cousins.

I would be collecting JG’s rookies over Mahome’s if I were into that sort of thing

m

• Options

Obviously Jimmy G has way more upside than Alex Smith, Alex Smith ceiling is one and done in the playoffs. A couple years ago he went an entire season without throwing a single TD pass to a WR, Washington will regret this stupid move.

• Options

justacomeman- My point was, when Jimmy got traded he was still unproven, just a backup.
    He had hardly played in NE. Now that he has several games under his belt in SF and has done extremely
    well of course his market value has gone up.
    Everybody here is a great GM after Jimmys' fine performance in SF, how come you weren't offering him
    20 million a year before that, Mark?

• Options
    edited February 3, 2018 12:07PM

Darin, the Pats were willing to pay him starting QB money to keep him in NE to sit on the bench behind Brady. They got rid of him because they really couldn’t afford him, this was well before he began winning games in SF

• Options
    edited February 3, 2018 1:30PM

Darin I understood what you meant. Jimmy didn’t want to ride the pine for 4 more years and he’ would be too expensive as a back up as Perk stated. A luxury they couldn’t afford especially with Jimmy at the tail end of his contract.

m

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Darin, the Pats were willing to pay him starting QB money to keep him in NE to sit on the bench behind Brady. They got rid of him because they really couldn’t afford him, this was well before he began winning games in SF

My mistake then if he was making starting QB money in NE. I figured maybe he was making league minimum
    or something like that.
    Regardless, I think Alex Smith may surprise a lot of people in the coming years. I certainly don't think his ceiling
    is one and done in the playoffs like you stated. I think he wrongfully takes most of the blame for the Chiefs
    playoff failures when a lot of players and coaches are to blame.

• Options

I will agree that Andy Reid was the cause of a lot of problems that were out of Alex Smith’s control

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@Darin said:

@Time4aGansett said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Really? Weird that a QB who lead the NFL in passer rating this year would bring more in return than
    an unproven QB?
    You live in an alternate universe.

Yeah, we aren't in the same universe.

• Options

Article doesn't make much sense to me.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke last week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

So the writer thinks Washington is worried about a missing 3rd round pick ? Stupid reason to use the tag just to trade him if he can blow up the deal by telling the other team he won't sign. The tag is risky for players too . Usually get good one year paycheck to play under the tag but what if you play badly?

There should be plenty of incentive for both sides to figure this out

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Article doesn't make much sense to me.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke last week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

So the writer thinks Washington is worried about a missing 3rd round pick ? Stupid reason to use the tag just to trade him if he can blow up the deal by telling the other team he won't sign. The tag is risky for players too . Usually get good one year paycheck to play under the tag but what if you play badly?

There should be plenty of incentive for both sides to figure this out

Worse case scenario for Washington if they don't tag him and he signs a mega contract elsewhere,the Skins probably end up with the highest comp pick in the 2019 draft. It will probably be pick #97,the highest spot a compensatory pick could a land so its not like they'll be getting nothing for him. Washington would need to sign their own megat-deal player in free agency to cancel his pick out but that likely isn't happening.

• Options

Remind me someone why Washington doesn't like Cousins and he needs to go?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Remind me someone why Washington doesn't like Cousins and he needs to go?

Dan Snyder is a moron? the guy spent years overpaying players and his team finally develops a franchise type QB he gets tight with his wallet.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    The upside of Garoppollo is light years beyond Smiths. Jimmy G seems to have the it factor plus playing under Brady and Belichick didn’t hurt but I think he’s always had it. If you were going to pay someone 20 million a season I think most GM’s pick JG over AS. Smith seems to be an older version of Kirk Cousins.

I would be collecting JG’s rookies over Mahome’s if I were into that sort of thing

m

You were saying........................