Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Pcgs vs pmg holders?

Hey so being new to graded currency, I was wondering which company has better holders? I like the look of PmG holders more so than pcgs. However, pcgs claims their holders have more benefits, such as being able to breathe and theirs are made out of some special kind of Mylar. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question !!!

Timbuk3
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

Any discussion on the benefits of one over the other opens up a can of worms. Both services are very reputable and both have excellent holders. Everyone has preferences of one over the other...chocolate vs vanilla. I have hundreds of both and am satisfied with both. Stay away from other grading services. They are not recognized by major auction houses nor Ebay. Buying ungraded notes over the internet is like playing Russian roulette....good luck!

• Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Pcgs claims that holders that don't breathe contribute to deterioration over time due to lack of oxygen. Is this true at all and if so do pmg holders breathe? Or is it just a selling point?

@Spartcom5 said:
    Pcgs claims that holders that don't breathe contribute to deterioration over time due to lack of oxygen. Is this true at all and if so do pmg holders breathe? Or is it just a selling point?

This has been discussed on the other forum too many times...counter to your comment is....with change in humidity, fungal spored floating in and out of "breathing" holders...notes will also be subject to deterioration....Have had notes from both since beginning of TPG...no difference....don't over think this one!

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2018 9:02PM

As a collector, I buy both on the secondary market and hold both in high regard (adding my judgement of the note).

For submitting, I choose the agency based on service and I have recently switched.

"PMG hands down" "PCGS hands down!"
    What did I tell you above!

• uzuiwekuzuiwek Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I've sourced some artisanal TPG holders made from only fair trade, sustainable materials...

SPMC LM #405 - Collector of Ohio obsoletes. And other stuff, that I'm not going to tell you, so you don't buy it before I do.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my notes are PCGS.

• dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I've have bought raw notes that are over 155 years old that were not encapsulated by either PMG or PCGS....and most look like the were printed today. I wonder how the dealer kept them looking so pristine without being encased in the newer plastic that PCGS and PMG offer. Also they had normal air to 'breathe' in.

The TPG's do offer protection and also their opinion on the condition of the note...but air or no air, I don't think it makes that much difference.

• goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

I buy both PCGS and PMG and make no value judgement about one vs. the other. Both TPG's are solid. As a submitter, it comes primarily down to SERVICE, i.e. who is more responsive and who tries harder to earn my business and respond to my needs. If I have a large bulk deal, yes, price is certainly important, but in the long run it's the service provided. I have recently switched providers based on this service factor and would be willing to share my thoughts over an adult beverage, but not in this open forum. Try it for yourself and see.

"Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

@goodpaper said:
    I buy both PCGS and PMG and make no value judgement about one vs. the other. Both TPG's are solid. As a submitter, it comes primarily down to SERVICE, i.e. who is more responsive and who tries harder to earn my business and respond to my needs. If I have a large bulk deal, yes, price is certainly important, but in the long run it's the service provided. I have recently switched providers based on this service factor and would be willing to share my thoughts over an adult beverage, but not in this open forum. Try it for yourself and see.

Well said,
    I recently made the same change

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Buy the note, not the holder. Also, learn to grade and understand the differences between grades. The best grader who controls your money is you.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can't numismatic companies have successful loyalty campaigns like this: http://i.imgur.com/taxFYuU.jpg