Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Last addition of 2017 (Papal Medal)

STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2018 4:10PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Happy New Year!

Saturday I received my last Christmas gift which also seems to have been my last acquisition for 2017. This is an exciting piece for me since I now only need the year 2 example to have Gregory XVI annual medals complete in silver. (scan is cropped from the seller's pix). For what it's worth, the medal dates to 1844 (year 14 of Gregory as Pope). References for this piece include: Modesti (Annuale vol 2) 312, Rinaldi 39 and Mazzio 651. The reverse is St James' Hospital .

This medal has a privately lettered edge which seems quite unusual for the medals I see in the US since I've only encountered one other, a piece of Pius IX. The inscription is: "DONO DI SUA Sa GREGORIO XVI ALL' INGr CHEVILLET LI 24 LUGLIO 1844." Fiddling with Google Translate this seems to mean "Gift of his Holiness Gregory XVI at the (his) arrival CHEVILLET LI July 24, 1844" Is Chevillet Li a personal name - the recipient of the medal perhaps - or something else? Also, my understanding is that the annual medals are/were distributed at the Feast day of SS Peter and Paul or June 29th of each year. The July date in the inscription suggests a later presentation.

I've reached out to an Italian group for help but wondered if anyone here can also shed light on the inscription or opine on how common edge inscriptions are for papal medals in general. Any help would be appreciated!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty medal - congrats and best for 2018!

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Very pretty medal - congrats and best for 2018!

TY and back at ya.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

I have no input on the edge inscription, but congrats on the nice medal!

Good luck on finding the last Gregory XVI that you need. How complete is your overall silver annual set at this point?

edited January 1, 2018 9:00PM

@Iosephus said:

Good luck on finding the last Gregory XVI that you need. How complete is your overall silver annual set at this point?

Thanks Joe. As I mentioned in the OP this is an exciting piece mostly due to the edge inscription which seems to be a provenance. It's fun to tie the medal to an actual recipient so I have high hopes for this one. The Pius AE medal with the inscription I've been able to tentatively tie to a composer who was active in Rome when the medal was distributed. What fun!

At this point I'm complete from 2017 to year 3 of Gregory XIV in silvers. In addition to the year 2 of Gregory I need the year ! of Leo and 7 of the silvers of Pius VII to be complete to 1800 or 9 in total according to the Modesti catalog which does not always agree with Rinaldi. altho I do have a few of these in AE. If I can add 2 or 3 of these this year I'll be happy. I've not really looked at what I have before 1800, altho silvers tend to be increasingly expensive as you know. I also need most of the Camerlingo medals of the 19th century in silver which always and perhaps justifiably seem real expensive, None of these are annuales as I recall and I have several in AE so not a priority. Thought about extending the series past 1800 in AE (or silver) but with the dispersal of Eric Newman's collection, there's a ton of interesting St Louis area currency that has a higher level of interest for me at present. I have a fair number of duplicates (including 20th century silvers) so it may be a good time to thin the herd a bit jf I can get myself organized.

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

@STLNATS said:

@Iosephus said:

Thanks Joe. As I mentioned in the OP this is an exciting piece mostly due to the edge inscription which seems to be a provenance. It's fun to tie the medal to an actual recipient so I have high hopes for this one. The Pius AE medal with the inscription I've been able to tentatively tie to a composer who was active in Rome when the medal was distributed. What fun!

At this point I'm complete from 2017 to year 3 of Gregory XIV in silvers. In addition to the year 2 of Gregory I need the year ! of Leo and 7 of the silvers of Pius VII to be complete to 1800 or 9 in total according to the Modesti catalog which does not always agree with Rinaldi. altho I do have a few of these in AE. If I can add 2 or 3 of these this year I'll be happy. I've not really looked at what I have before 1800, altho silvers tend to be increasingly expensive as you know. I also need most of the Camerlingo medals of the 19th century in silver which always and perhaps justifiably seem real expensive, None of these are annuales as I recall and I have several in AE so not a priority. Thought about extending the series past 1800 in AE (or silver) but with the dispersal of Eric Newman's collection, there's a ton of interesting St Louis area currency that has a higher level of interest for me at present. I have a fair number of duplicates (including 20th century silvers) so it may be a good time to thin the herd a bit jf I can get myself organized.

Thanks for sharing, that's an impressive collection!

• angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Can you tell me where the Italian group would be?
    Thanks

@angelo43 said:
    Can you tell me where the Italian group would be?
    Thanks

NUMISMATICA ITALIANA on facebook

• angelo43angelo43 Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Thank you