Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Rare nationals

A collector asked me about these two nationals as to value. I told him the market is not what it was in 2008. http://i.imgur.com/35olAK5.png?1 http://i.imgur.com/z5Ufm4n.png

Comments

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that both notes have already been shopped on eBay last summer. While LFK sold a small size Medical Lake in 2007 for $10K, recent sales have been more in the $4K - $5K range. Regarding the $20 BB, it's one of two on the bank, neither of which has appeared in a "real" auction sale making it a bit trickier to estimate. The only thing close in the auction archives is a Second Charter $20 Date Back that sold for about $5,500 in 2008.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told the guy the nationals market is weak. If he contacts the major dealers in these he will likely not be impressed with the offers.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Medical Lake piece at a 15 grade?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • @telephoto1 said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't like the Medical Lake piece at a 15 grade?

You feel the note was undergraded?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭

I find that if a note is considered "rare" that it then follows that seeing the note over and over and over and over and over again on eBay makes the note at least seem not so rare(T&P shows both notes have been offered up 8 times on eBay in 2017).As a dealer it has been my long experience that It is a bad idea to constantly offer up/relist notes,certainly rare notes population-wise,as it has the effect of interested parties seeing it again and again so it now seems not so rare-all,or certainly most,of the exuberance is gone.8 times in one year....that's once every 45 days on average that a potential buyer has seen them-it creates the illusion that they are not rare at all,let alone the fact that they haven't sold and the pricing has varied greatly as well.Also,as no one has bought them all those times it has been offered online,it has then established what it is NOT worth.....something you don't want to do as it then limits the notes potential to "pop" at an auction.Each time the seller attempts to sell these two and fails,he is hurting the potential of otherwise great notes.

Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency