Home U.S. Coin Forum

"Keeping Your Word"--Is It Just Me?

2»

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 8:49AM

Unfortunately, we are in the "ME" era. Young people(good young people) hold no regards for keeping agreements(promises), pride in ownership of property, being on time for anything and I mean anything. They were for the most part not raised that way but society dictates this as not being necessary and merely an inconvenience. Nothing inconveniences these "adults" because they obey no honor rules. They won't even give turn signals or let someone out of a side street or business parking lot. Very inconsiderate. Just My Opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup to all! Looks like we have some good one's here wish there was more like us out there, Happy B-Day to all looks like we had a couple.

Hoard the keys.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, I can honestly say I'm younger than all you guys added together, and keeping ones word is the most important attribute a person can have. It's one thing we each have control over and no one can take away.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Just leave a message, maybe I'll call" Joe Walsh 1978. It started with those dang young whipper snapper hippies!

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try to follow the golden rule, so even if I am critical of someone else's action, I would be critical of myself if I did the same thing. I would also be complimentary of someone who did the right thing. Then you have those who operate on feeling, whether gut or whim. http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-do-what-thou-wilt-shall-be-the-whole-of-the-law-aleister-crowley-6-81-72.jpg

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am afraid you people are living in the past. Next thing you'll be telling us how candy bars used to cost a nickel and milk used to be delivered to your doorstep. :|

The good news is that people who still think integrity and honesty are important should be easier to idemtify.

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

It's not just you.

I try very hard to be a man of my word.

However, I am imperfect, as are we all.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 12:05PM

@LanLord said:
    well, I can honestly say I'm younger than all you guys added together, and keeping ones word is the most important attribute a person can have. It's one thing we each have control over and no one can take away.

Well, @LanLord, I am glad to hear that a youngster thinks keeping his word is important. That's great

But I can also tell you flunked math.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the above posts, one thing I have noticed with the younger "instagram" crowd, is that it is easier to not get back to people and/or change the story if it is all a "text"... "So sorry I didn't get your text" or That coin sold you didn't get my text?" etc.... Also not getting back to someone as a strategy is so much easier with Iphones etc...to me personally that is lack of integrity..

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the thread from @ScarsdaleCoin (Jon Lerner) a few moths ago about the one-of-a-kind $1000 slab item that one guy sold to another on the phone, then he showed up at the coin club meeting the next week and said "Oh, I raised the money from my girl-friend, so I don't need the money and I'm keeping the coin?"

Many sympathetic expressions for the poor schmo who was going to lose his Precious. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm only 45 and consider myself a little old school. I've have always done coin business and other business with a hand shake. Always seems to work out for both parties.

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Well I'm a little younger than you are and I was taught the same thing, "all you have is your word, don't ever break it and come hell or high water, if you can't do what you said you would do, or be on time, you make a telephone call to that person explaining why you can't keep your word". Ok, in all of my 53 yrs, I don't believe I have ever broke my word but 1 time, to a friend and I called him to explain the reason why I couldn't help him do something on the day and time that I was supposed to have helped him and he said no problem and understood. I'm also talking about being on time as well, if you can't be on time and someone is waiting (friends, dr appt's , job interviews and such), you should be there before that time and not make someone wait on you even a minute late. I was brought up that way and that is how I have brought up my 21 year old daughter as well and she is the same way I am, if she is going to be late somewhere that she has to be, she is calling to let them know that she "might" be a little late, she is exactly how I am as the way I brought her up to be. Oh, and always respect your elders as that almost seems to have gone out by the wayside today with younger and a lot of a little older people as well it seems like. One thing I can't stand to hear is people cussing around older folks and younger kids, drives me nuts but today, it seems that there are a lot of people who just don't care who is around and that is young and older that is doing the cussing. One other thing I was taught that seems to not be the way it is with a lot of people today and that is work hard, work very hard for the things that you need and want in life. Yeah, it seems like a lot of people want a paycheck but don't want to work for that paycheck. It's just simple things that seems to either not be taught today or people just don't seem to care about. Morals and Pride just don't seem to be a priority with a lot of people anymore.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Since the dawn of time there have been honest and/or considerate people and dishonest and/or inconsiderate people. It's not generational. Though generation gaps can increase perceived problems due to cultural differences, communication differences, etc. For example, arranging a time and place to meet was much more important previously. Now, plans are often a general place and time and the two parties just text updates upon or before arrival. Also, don't forget younger people, regardless of generation, lack maturity and experience.

And at least for the last few generations it been standard procedure to complain the younger generation is disrespectful, lazy, immoral, etc., etc. I mean don't get me started on Elvis Presley. He's leading kids today to hell in a hand basket.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your word is your bond.........I agree with you.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - the lawn mower is now 26??

Was enjoying the thread until I saw BigE's post, then woke up to realize how old the thread was!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@LanLord said:

Well, @LanLord, I am glad to hear that a youngster thinks keeping his word is important. That's great

Kind regards,

George

Heh, youngster? I said younger than all you guys added together, not younger than any of you guys. I might be one of the older farts on this board, I was inducted into the grumpy old mans group about 12 years ago. But if you add the ages of all the other posters together, I am younger than that (but just by a little). ;)

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2017 8:12PM

@LanLord said:

@giorgio11 said:

@LanLord said:

Kind regards,

George

Heh, youngster? I said younger than all you guys added together, not younger than any of you guys. I might be one of the older farts on this board, I was inducted into the grumpy old mans group about 12 years ago. But if you add the ages of all the other posters together, I am younger than that (but just by a little). ;)

His math is excellent. You're thinking 5th-grade arithmetic.
    Add the ages of "all you guys" besides @LanLord - In decimal? Nooooooo.
    You kids, sigh - gotcha!
    Entry age for Medicare expressed in binary = 1,000,001 (commas no extra charge)
    Suck on it, whippersnappers B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭

One’s word, or honor, is their most important asset.
    It’s basis is zero, but with constant contribution, it’s value grows and grows.
    It becomes the greatest source of personal wealth, and can freely be passed along.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

OP is making a mountain out of a molehill.

The coin market must be reeaaallllly slow if this is the most commented on thread... ;)

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

@Pokermandude This thread has gotten resurrected after six years. I am trying to not obsess so much about small stuff nowadays, and this really is small stuff. One's reputation is not. @ColonelJessup you are correct, I am too literal-minded. Kudos on being able to count in binary. @LanLord sorry I misunderstood you.

Next time my millennial lawn-mower says he'll be here Wednesday at 9, I'll simply think Thursday at 1 and move along.

Interesting discussion. But more important things are afoot, for all of us, I suspect.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely always keep my word as I can not stand people who lie.

Liars are the worst kind of people.

BOOM Phantom Thread (oh wait, that was the movie) I mean phantom thread comes back to life for a third time after being dead this last time for two years. Kind of like "I Led Three Lives" (and now I know I'm really showing my age, along with anyone who recognizes that show title).

Y'all have a good day. Or week, or decade. I'm just glad to still get vertical every morning.

Kind regards,

George

• Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I am 59 and have learned a lot about people and life in my time. I am painfully a man of my word to the point that I have suffered financially by sticking to my word instead of a better offer. In the end money is not that important but integrity sure is. I also have come to the conclusion that most people will tell you what you want to hear. Most will not keep their word but I have learned to accept it and not to try to change them. I am also of the age where I only have friends who fit in my belief system. Not that I am better then them just have different beliefs and standards.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok....so what...I had a bad hangover when that video was taken.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honesty and integrity seem to be indivisible. You either have them or you don’t. When a business partner is cheating in his personal life, it’s a good time to check the books. Learned that the hard way.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file