Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I received a letter from PCGS today about some changes, some great stuff!!

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

December 1, 2017

Dear PCGS Collectors Club Member:

As a valued PCGS Collectors Club Member, we would like to thank you for your continued support as PCGS enters its 32nd year as the leading authentication and grading service in the hobby. In 2017, we continued to grow our core businesses while simultaneously expanding and growing our overseas offices. It is a testament to our joint efforts that PCGS is the standard for grading around the world.

We have a very exciting announcement for 2018. Two years ago, we began working with a software firm specializing in Expert Systems to develop a state-of-the-art artificial intelligence and optical recognition system for coins. This system is self-learning and allows us to match any coin image to our entire library of coin photographs. We have been testing and refining the system for over one year and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. It will become a crucial component of our fight against counterfeiting, which will help us preserve the integrity of the PCGS brand worldwide.

While combating counterfeits is our primary motive for developing this system, it also performs all the functions for which PCGS Secure™ was developed. Therefore, effective January 1, 2018, the existing PCGS Secure system will be replaced by this new system. We are calling the new system PCGS Gold Shield™.

PCGS TrueView™ will continue to be included under the new Gold Shield service. Effective January 1, 2018, all Express and higher submissions will automatically include the Gold Shield service. There is no need to purchase PCGS Gold Shield at Express and above.

Moreover, we are excited to introduce two new services. First, we have split the Modern service into two parts – Modern, and Modern Gold. While the turnaround time, fee, and date qualification (1965-present) for the new Modern service will remain the same as the old Modern service, the maximum declared value will be lowered to $300 per coin. The Modern Gold service will include coins of any metal composition valued up to $3,000, dated from 1965 to present. Qualified coins will be graded for $30 per coin, and will have an estimated 15 business day turnaround time.

Next, we have carved out a value-level service from our Special Issues service. The new service is called Economy Special Issues, and it includes all U.S Colonials, Fractional Gold, Patterns, and Territorials with a maximum declared value of $300. The turnaround time will be up to 60 days; however, the fee per coin is only $25. Special Issues will continue to include qualifying coins up to $20,000 in value with a turnaround of 25-35 days.

Starting January 1, 2018, new pricing for PCGS services in our U.S. office will go into effect. Please see the attached 2018 Schedule of Services and Fees for details.

If you have any questions about the new submission pricing structure or changes to our services, please contact Customer Service at (800) 447-8848 or visit www.PCGS.com/ServicesAndFees. Thank you again for your continued support of PCGS, as we continue to improve our services to support Collectors Club Members like you.

Sincerely,

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 10:50AM

I stand corrected. I missed the info in the email, clearly.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    10000lakes10000lakes Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 10:15AM

@keyman64 said:
    Maybe it's been a while since I submitted but...wasn't it $25 to submit a coin Economy Secure and you would get a True View with it. So now it is $22 plus $10 for True View which = $32 and you don't get the secure shield?

I think you can add the 'gold shield' service for $5 per coin and that includes a Trueview.
    So that would be $22 + $5 = $27 for Economy w/Trueview

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hoped for this when PCGS introduced Secure. Another step, I trust, toward secure identification of all the coins they process (and eventually perhaps to stabilize grading and the pops???). Great news!

• Options
    edited December 1, 2017 10:49AM

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2017 10:49AM

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    This will be a huge increase in cost. Last year it was $25 per coin essentially. Now $32? A 28% price increase!

Economy = $22.
    Gold Shield Service = $5
    = $27

Gold Shield Service includes TrueView.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2017 10:50AM

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 10:44AM

@keyman64 - It's right at the top:

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    @keyman64 - It's right at the top:

Daaaaaaang it! Thank you! I am getting old, I guess blind too. :'(

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget the $10 handling fee for each submission.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 12:16PM

Another fee hike... I'm not surprised. With increasing prices, PCGS might as well abolish the economy tier all together as coins that cheap rarely warrant the submission fees, handling fees, shipping, and insurance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file