Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

4 New Major DDO pieces.

I received 4 of the 5 other 2010 2 Pound Doubled Dies. Now I have 5 raw and 5 graded. So, I now have a set of 10 examples. I emailed the mint to see if they could give me a estimate of how many might have escaped but to no avail. These are the only 10 I've come across in 3 years.

Chris

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I had not seen this one and the extreme spread is awesome! I have found that the number of foreign coins struck with doubled dies is fairly large compared to their US counterparts. And so far in my circle, they bring little bring little value and are very often in the "bulk" foreign junk box for well under a quarter!

This has to be an exception and must have been front page news. Can you say where you heard of it? Do you live in Great Britain where these can be pulled out of pocket change? Thanks for sharing!

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2017 8:38AM

@Insider2 said:> Very nice. I had not seen this one and the extreme spread is awesome! I have found that the number of foreign coins struck with doubled dies is fairly large compared to their US counterparts. And so far in my circle, they bring little bring little value and are very often in the "bulk" foreign junk box for well under a quarter!

This has to be an exception and must have been front page news. Can you say where you heard of it? Do you live in Great Britain where these can be pulled out of pocket change? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. These were pulled out of circulation by one source working at a bank in the UK and the other bought them cheap and I bought his 5 pieces. I don't live in the UK i'm in Hong Kong, but I do enjoy nice errors. Mainly just major DD pieces. My thoughts were in 2010 this probably shouldn't have happened and escaped the mint.

I can find relatively nothing about these online. I even emailed the mint but got no response.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you would send an image to both Coin World and Numismatic News. Front page coverage should bring more to light and the Editors may have more luck prying info from the mint when they do a story! It will also increase the value of your coins - at least for a time. I'm surprised PCGS did not send off a press release about your discovery.

edited November 26, 2017 9:05PM

@Insider2 said:
    I wish you would send an image to both Coin World and Numismatic News. Front page coverage should bring more to light and the Editors may have more luck prying info from the mint when they do a story! It will also increase the value of your coins - at least for a time. I'm surprised PCGS did not send off a press release about your discovery.

I did just that and mint error news. It really never crossed my mind before to submit them like this. I have had the first group about a year. thanks for your advice.

Chris

The last one arrived today.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3